New to this

I'm green as green can be to the world of mini bike. Mechanic by trade, so not new to tinkering, but I think I have finally found a fun way to tinker on stuff. I picked up a 1970's Terra Torque a few weeks ago. The guy claims it's all original, and I don't know enough about it so say that's true or not. I'm going to go through it all this winter and try to clean it up more. So far I had to fix the carb, fix the flat tires, throttle linkage, the list goes on. It still doesn't have brakes and i'm trying to figure out where to get the right parts for it or any additional information about it, and this seems to be the go to place for a community in mini bikes. So, HI everyone!! Mini Bike 1.JPG

Thanks for the warm welcome! I finished taking the bike apart last night. I will start rebuilding it in a few weeks. I’ll start up a post about it too. Should be a fun learning curve.

Harquebus

Depending on what's wrong with it or how original it is, I'd just buff it a little, get it running and RIDE.

I'm digging the "agricultural" rear tire. . .

Yeah, you'll be amazed how fast the motor head part kicks in and mods begin to the bike. LOL!
That looks like a gas tank off of a Bird T-Bird/Spoker/Night Hawk. If it is, it's plastic, so don't try and paint it without sealing the inside first, even that may not work 100%. Fuel can leech through the plastic and spoil your paint job. Ask me how I know...

Been a year since I’ve touched the mini bike. I took it all apart, cleaned and painted the fenders and frame, replaced all the steer and axle bearings, brake pads, throttle linkage and brake linkage. I need to get the back axle set up properly still. I can’t tighten the axle down without locking it up. I need to find some spacers I think. Pretty sure the frame is rubbing on the outside of the bearings.

Been a year since I’ve touched the mini bike. I took it all apart, cleaned and painted the fenders and frame, replaced all the steer and axle bearings, brake pads, throttle linkage and brake linkage. I need to get the back axle set up properly still. I can’t tighten the axle down without locking it up. I need to find some spacers I think. Pretty sure the frame is rubbing on the outside of the bearings.
I am not familiar with that particular bike but, depending on the hub design, you may need an inner spacer (AKA: crush tube). That is a spacer that fits inside the hub between the two wheel bearings and sized to contact only the inner race of the bearings, it prevents side-loading the bearings. I'm linking a Harley Davidson Forums thread that may help you understand what I'm referring to. As you mentioned, you may also need outer spacers that contact only the inner bearing race. I suggest you post a new thread with key words in the title to get the attention of those familiar with the Terra Torque.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/spor...p-front-wheel-sealed-ball-bearing-spacer.html