new toys

traded for another baja warrior and a dune buggy style go kart over the weekend. i put a air filter on the warrior, and opened the jets up. when it starts it wants to go, it wont sit and idle. also, it dies when you let off the gas. did i go to big with the jets? i had the air filter for my gx200 but im not done with it yet. i did not add the pipe yet either, would that cause these problems? it runs fine when you get it going, but thats not what i want. i also noticed there is a hesitation on the gas, twist............GO lol. any help?

neck,
Yea it was sitting awile. i took the carb off and cleaned it. took jets out, even cleaned the gas on/off bowl. not quiet sure i know what your talking about tho. sorry, im kinda new to all this. would that cause it to want to go as soon as it starts? i have another carb i could throw on and try. i bought alot of stuff to build my gx with. Then decided to go all the way, im saving $ for billet parts right now.

. i put a air filter on the warrior, and opened the jets up. when it starts it wants to go, it wont sit and idle. also, it dies when you let off the gas. did i go to big with the jets? i had the air filter for my gx200 but im not done with it yet. i did not add the pipe yet either, would that cause these problems? it runs fine when you get it going, but thats not what i want. i also noticed there is a hesitation on the gas, twist............GO lol. any help?
How big did you go and what kind of hesitiation?

A video would help, so we can see exactly what its doing.

When you free up the intake and exhaust these engines lean out.
But you just did the intake....
So it could be too much fuel now onthe low side but I am just guessing.
What does the plug look like?

Is it hard to start ( lean ) or fires up easily then stumbles ( rich )

Drilling th elow side I found just ever so slight idle size increase from .017 to .018 is all you generaly need.
Going just .018 or .019 could cause the trouble you discribe.

Neck

Growing up is optional
Under the idle screw, in the main body is a black plastic plug, you can pull it out with needle nose pliers and see a small brass jet under it. Unscrew that and then you can see the passage for the idle circuit. It runs along the side of the carb and feeds into the venturi just behind the throttle plate through a tiny little hole. Squirt down inside the passage with a can of carb cleaner that has the long red plastic tube on it, and watch for the cleaner to come out that hole. You will probably need to remove the main jet and emulsion tube and clean that real well too. A tip cleaner for a cutting torch works really well. And be sure to squirt out that area too! Or....you can just go buy a new carb for a gx 200 from the OldMiniBikes warehouse!

new old stock,
Thats exactly what i was thinking. new intake, same old exhaust. makes sense to me. i used a #65 on idle and i THINK it was a #70 on the main jet. i have the numbers written down at home. i cant post pics or videos, my phone is CRAP!! mite be able to with my wifes phone. it starts right up, but only when its choked. it will only run half choked. thats why i figured i went to big. this is the 3rd motor i have and i have extra carbs, and jets. like i said earlier, im building a genuine gx. so i have spare parts everywhere lol. the plug is stock, it sucks i know. lol gonna pick up a new one on my way home today.
Neck,
Thanks for the info! i already removed the plastic screw, and opened the idle jet. i didnt clean that little hole you were talking about tho. thats the first thing i'll do when i get home today. THANKS ALOT for the info guys, it REALLY helps. keep it coming, im always eager to learn......

also, i remeber reading something about taking the insulation out of the spark plug wire :shrug: anyone care to elaborate? what will i gain? how do i do it?

JamnJM

Jack shafts are for torque so IMO leave it on. The JS is an easy way to make changes in gearing for different locations.... Speed for pavement or torque for hills.

can someone tell me about the spark plug wire? if i remember correctly, theres something up inside of the wire you can pull out. im guessing this will allow more spark?? :shrug: i have a chinese knock off of the honda 50z. the exhaust is backwards, but i think i can make it work with a little help lol. :hammer: i know you guys are big on pics so i'll try to get some tonight of the baja, and the gx200 build. im still learning, bare with me.........:doah:

can someone tell me about the spark plug wire? if i remember correctly, theres something up inside of the wire you can pull out. im guessing this will allow more spark?? :shrug: i have a chinese knock off of the honda 50z. the exhaust is backwards, but i think i can make it work with a little help lol. :hammer: i know you guys are big on pics so i'll try to get some tonight of the baja, and the gx200 build. im still learning, bare with me.........:doah:
Inside the spark plug boot is a brass part that unscrews.
Under this you will find a spring and small buttom resistor.
Its that resistor you want to remove and replace with something more conductive.

You discribed your idle problem in greater detail last post.

Sounds like it is not rich at all but lean.
Something may be plugged I think.

For simplicity I do not work in drill size but thousands of an inch.
I am not sure what your drilled at without looking it up, but your engine will not need much tweeking untill it has a header and filter.
Even then it will not need much!

So I got home and removed the carb. Put the hinds carbon. ( brand new ) and no change. It only runs half choked.wants to go as soon as it starts up. Dies when I use the brake. If I try to take off slowly, it dies instantly. It will only go if I twist it wide open. The only mod it has right now is the air filter. I removed that black plastic screw. And backed out the throttle stop 5-6 turns. Any ideas?? I know this isn't the right place to ask, but is the robin ( subuaru ) 6.5 take the same upgrades as the gx? :confused:

I removed that black plastic screw. And backed out the throttle stop 5-6 turns. Any ideas?? I know this isn't the right place to ask, but is the robin ( subuaru ) 6.5 take the same upgrades as the gx? :confused:
Thats an air bleed screw.
Its backwards and let air in the idle passages to lean when you unscrew.