NGK failed for the first time.

Lots of snow here and I wanted to drive my Trail King down to the mail box. With it's two speed gear box,it always does well in snow.
The bike has always started on the first or second pull of the starter ( 6.5 HP Clone). today,nothing.
Fresh gas,full of oil, a spark* but no go. Plug is wet. Carburetor float and jet were clean and free.
I yanked off the recoil starter and hooked up a 1/2" drill motor to the starter hub and there was no spark at speed. I grabbed an old plug from my tractor and it sparked like a big dog. I pulled a plug off of another clone engine and it fired up instantly.
For the first time in my life a NGK plug failed! The plug is only one year old and has less than ten hours on it. Nice and clean,no cracks but is dead if high voltage is applied to it. It would spark out of the engine but not under compression, not even one time.
A first for everything I guess.
* spark was present but intermittent when the coil fired.
Now I need to find a plug that is more dependable, if there is such a thing.

i race cars and the most common changed plug is ngk they work great when new but change them often we pick up et with new ones so we use new ones for qualifying autolites work well and dont go bad as easily we run turbo cars with race gas which lead fouls the plugs

Littlebear

i race cars and the most common changed plug is ngk they work great when new but change them often we pick up et with new ones so we use new ones for qualifying autolites work well and dont go bad as easily we run turbo cars with race gas which lead fouls the plugs
I used to work for a gentlemen by the name of Leonard Vasholtz. Numerous time winner at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. Year after year winner. Even had his photo on the "Wheaties" cereal box. No joke. Every race engine built got Autolite Copper plugs. The guy would use nothing else.

Littlebear

I used to work for a gentlemen by the name of Leonard Vasholtz. Numerous time winner at the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. Year after year winner. Even had his photo on the "Wheaties" cereal box. No joke. Every race engine built got Autolite Copper plugs. The guy would use nothing else.
I think if you look it up he has won more times than anyone. Great guy, but you want to be on his good side or he will tell it as it is...... Lol.....

65ShelbyClone

Because they're sponsored only have to last one pass? That doesn't say anything about their quality. I wouldn't be surprised if top fuel teams check every one of the spark plugs before use anyway. Losing fire hydraulics a cylinder and puts the blower into orbit.

Now I need to find a plug that is more dependable, if there is such a thing.
If this was your first defective NGK in your life, that seems like a reason to keep using them rather than jump ship.

i tune boosted cars and i can tell you autolites last and dont go away as far a top fuel they burn 18 gallons a run and burnout ,alcohol and ethenol need strong ignitions on boost also autolite racing plugs are clip gap that was a trend back in the 60s racing

Because they're sponsored only have to last one pass? That doesn't say anything about their quality. I wouldn't be surprised if top fuel teams check every one of the spark plugs before use anyway. Losing fire hydraulics a cylinder and puts the blower into orbit.

If this was your first defective NGK in your life, that seems like a reason to keep using them rather than jump ship.
THANK YOU! Finally some sense in this thread!!!

LOL, same comments I was going to make. Tantamount to "why do so many NHRA cars use Fram, and NAPA parts?" I shouldn't knock them, they do open up large swaths of spectator seats, so it looks like not only do we all love NHRA, we all love NAPA! (Thanks for the tickets!)

I refer to the Autolite Fram Nationals, sponsored by the Autolite Fram group, a multi-million dollar corporation consisting of several other small companies, bought and sold by wealthy billionaires.

Also agree with the comment about having something fail like a plug, then swearing them off because one out of a million failed.

And FYI, those E3 plugs are the "Spark Plug of NHRA." LOL!!! How much sponsor money did that cost?

There are only so many ways to manufacture a spark plug. At their core, they are essentially identical.

we had a plug break on the dyno the inside fell inside the engine its a once in a lifetime thing it cost 10,000 to fix the damage all im saying is ngks foul faster than most others after that a plugs a plug we run brisk plugs on our mercedes tuned cars 2 plugs per cylinder 15 bucks a plug ouch

65ShelbyClone

I'm not trying to pick on anyone or start a fight, but rather point out logical fallacies and promote informed critical thinking.

What's good for a Cup Car or Top Fuel engine has no relationship to what's good for a lawnmower. Racers use whatever works best for them and it's not always what the big sticker on the car says. And lets be realistic; utility engines aren't picky about spark plugs. If the plug works, the engine works.

And FYI, those E3 plugs are the "Spark Plug of NHRA." LOL!!! How much sponsor money did that cost?

There are only so many ways to manufacture a spark plug. At their core, they are essentially identical.
This is a good point because a look at history will show that all the weird and gimmicky plug designs seen today (like E3s) were tried in some form or other 90-100+ years ago. Manufacturers always fall back to the layout we're all used to seeing because the others offer little to no benefit in most applications.

all im saying is ngks foul faster than most others after that a plugs a plug
You're aware that NGK's heat range system is opposite of most others, correct? A higher number means a colder plug, so I can picture a situation where there is a fouling problem and someone keeps upping the number while actually making the problem worse.

we had a plug break on the dyno the inside fell inside the engine its a once in a lifetime thing it cost 10,000 to fix the damage all im saying is ngks foul faster than most others after that a plugs a plug we run brisk plugs on our mercedes tuned cars 2 plugs per cylinder 15 bucks a plug ouch
Heat range?

this isnt a grocery getter its drag race engine over 15.1 compression turns close to 10,000 rpm its a different animal than most bracket motors that run a 7 or so