Nice CL find

Think I got lucky. 150 bones for the racing raptor and 150 for the doodlebug. The raptor was built by Turk Bros racing, 14hp on alcohol max 7100 rpm. Good winter project ;) db30.jpg raptor.jpg

buckeye

300 bucks of fun right there.

I am close to just buying a good engine and know it's done right.
By the time you buy parts and the time it takes to hope you got it right, it is almost worth dropping cash for a built engine.

But, then you'd be a gold chainer.:laugh:

Build , learn , build again , learn and build again , by the time you get it right could've had 5 engines , lol ! It's really not that tuff , with the help from the fabulous folks on this site and some time doing your homework , even a Caveman can do it !

But, then you'd be a gold chainer.:laugh:
There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of the skills of someone else. We're all good at something. I've long ago learned that if it counts, it's always better to pay someone else to do what I am not good at doing. Or accept the risks of doing it myself.

A used $150 alky engine "could" end up being an albatross and at a minimum requires disassembly and inspection. A gas 130202 flattie not so much. If it runs, it's good.

used $150 alky engine "could" end up being an albatross and at a minimum requires disassembly and inspection.
Dave is right on and truer words were never written. These engines are used (racing) and abused (very high rpms). These race engines are regularly rebored and oversize piston/ring sets installed as they wear out from racing. Take you time and go through it completely and check piston to bore clearance, rod journal clearance at crankshaft, etc.
Michael

The dude I got the motor from said he raced it four times before making the jump to the Animal motors. Told me it's has a 3hp flywheel and $400 in other parts. Funny thing is I was originally thinking of building a predator motor for the bike but when I saw that this raptor motor hasn't sold in over a month I decided to pick it up. If anything maybe to find it a new home with someone else if I don't use it for the bike. If I do use it then more than likely I'll swap the carb for a gasser carb.

The dude I got the motor from said he raced it four times before making the jump to the Animal motors.
Even with only 4 races, depending on how hard it was run and the length (time) of the races, it might already be getting close to needing what they call a "refresh", which would be anything from a re-hone with oversize rings to a full rebore with an oversize piston/ring set. My son Jeff interned at Terry Nash's "Hyper Racing" Kart Shop in Upland, CA a couple of years ago and I learned from him about how they maintain these race engines.
Michael

Few things to add....
Turk Bros may have built it, but they are often freshened by another builder/person. I'm not saying that's the case, but it seems more common than not.
Also, how the engine was stored is as important as how it was maintained while it was run.
If it's still running the Briggs 3hp flywheel at 7100, I'd be concerned. If it's the 3hp diameter billet then you're good.
At the very least I'd pull the head or use a bore scope to be sure moisture in the methanol hasn't corroded the cylinder/piston.
Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of the skills of someone else. We're all good at something. I've long ago learned that if it counts, it's always better to pay someone else to do what I am not good at doing. Or accept the risks of doing it myself.

A used $150 alky engine "could" end up being an albatross and at a minimum requires disassembly and inspection.
That's the truth. There's a reason I pay someone else to paint my car, every time I attempt body work I make it worse. Don't even get me started on drywall:laugh:

There's a saying, "The oldest car in the world is last years race car". As others have said, race/competition stuff gets used hard...