Nice h40 find yesterday :)

I've been looking around so I stopped by an old lawn mower shop in my area and they had this sitting on a shelf in the back $40. The petcock was closed with old gas in the tank, drained, cleaned the tank and threw some fresh gas in her and she fired right up and sat there idling:) can anyone tell the year? Also can I just add a cable the existing setup? Thanks. image.jpeg image.jpeg

markus

Markus, just to clarify, is there a definitive way to ID from this engine since there is no decal?
Sure, just look at the style of the tag it is a 1960's version numbering system and stamping=1966 :thumbsup: you actually can't confuse tags between 60's and 70's (on any engine) because the way Tecumseh numbered and stamped them.

Thanks Markus! For my own knowledge, what would be the differences between the OP'so tag and this one? Was there an exact year they switched id styles or a slow transition? Is there another thread I should search for?
20160405_193943.jpg

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Tecumseh started using stamped tags in 1971, and was fully transitioned by 1972. Before that, they were embossed like the one above. Sometime in late 1973, they started stamping the tops of the shrouds instead.

I see now. Raised vs stamped. Cool. I knew that from the HS engines but kind of didn't think about it with these.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]