northern tool parts mini bike

Hi Just got my old northern parts mini bike out of storage and added a scrub brake works about 70% so have to come up with a different type?What do you guys use for brakes? The motor is a old 1965 Briggs off a lawn mower runs very nice. well thanks for looking

Oldsalt

There is no reason that the scrub brake will not work adequately. They can have a problem when running in water but how much of that are you going to do? There has to be a reason why the existing scrub brake is not working well, that model had a good design. I really like the advice the Outlaw gave; Put on a clutch brake and keep the scrub!

Andrewp

Ok here is my 2 cents. I think the problem with your scrub brake is how you have it mounted. The way it is when you push on the pedal only the bottom part rotates and rubs the tire. That kind of brake pad needs to swivel so that when pushed the whole brake pad can contact the tire. I have a sears mini with a scrub that will lock the tire up anytime. It has a bracket that comes off of where your pad is mounted now that drop down 90 degrees to the brake pedal. These brackets are a couple inches long, and the pad mounts to them. Which I'm sure gives more leverage, and like I said lets your brake rub more of the tire. I hope I described that ok for you. If not I can dig up some pics later.:thumbsup: