Northern Tools Ironton engines

Andrew they can call it what ever...but its still a Honda clone engine....but it is a 208 cc instead of a 196cc. :thumbsup: Good price though !

It is the same size and price as the Predator engine at Harbor Freight. At Harbor Freight the predator GX200 clone is
$119 with a 20 percent coupon off for the Memorial Holidays. Could they possibly be from the same factory
in China just painted different color for the respective distributors ?

My destination for the GX200 clone is for a BAJA MB165 restoration project.

Well I bought the Ironton at NorthernTool for 99 bucks. Turns out the 20 percent coupon at
Harbor Freight is no good on Predator engines. and several other items listed in fine print.
I know the chinese knockoffs cant be as good as Briggs or Hondas but they
say it has an expected life of 500 hours and it has ball bearing crankshafts. I believe some
Briggs and Hondas can go for 2 or 3 thousand hours if lubed often enough with good oil.

The little engine only weighs 37 pounds and I decided for my first time out I should just avoid
the temptation to want to build a big knarly hi HP monster mini bike. Next go around I want
to use the small block V-twin Briggs of 23 hp that only weighs 73 pounds.....

Or if it will not fit then I want to use the Briggs 35 "ANIMAL"

Last edited:
It is true, I just ordered a 2nd Ironton engine online for $79 after 40 dollar discount and then another 20 dollar discount ! !
I arranged for store pickup so there will be zero shipping charge.

capguncowboy

It is true, I just ordered a 2nd Ironton engine online for $79 after 40 dollar discount and then another 20 dollar discount ! !
I arranged for store pickup so there will be zero shipping charge.
Let me know how it performs. I'm really tempted to grab one for my DB30

Howdy!!! Just my $0.02, but I'm pretty sure there's a difference between Honda clones and the other Chinese knockoffs (predator, Ironton, etc.) The clones should be exact copys of a Honda gx200,(all parts should interchange) whereas the other knockoff motors (predator, etc.) might have slight differences in pistons, rods, flywheels etc. It's the same general design, they just cut a few corners in manufacturing. look at performance parts for these types of motors, the company will usually specify Honda/clone, or predator, because of the differences. Again just my $0.02.:thumbsup: