oddyssey fl250 motor swap question

yesterday i got a honda fl250 with a 399cc rotax motor with it. my question is....... how do i know what belt to use and how tight to make it..... also, can i use a comet style centrifugal clutch and switch to a sprocket on the rear axel so i can just use a chain....? i just have no experience with belt drive stuff and need to know which would be easier for me to do....
any help would be appreciated.

JustEnough

Stay with the belt drive.

Post some pictures.

Measure from axle to shaft (center to center).

I have an FL250 with a Kawasaki 440 twin in it. The stock 250cc was underpowered, so the belt drive snowmobile engine is a popular swap.

zook94

As for the size of the belt, you want it to be absolutely flush with the top of the driven clutch, and no more than 1/2" deflection when winding around the driver clutch. Any more slack than that will cause flat spots where the clutch has to pull together to engage. Fit the belt FIRST in the swap, then make the rest of the parts work around it. There should be some kind of plate to lift the motor up off of the studs on the bottom, and it should be tall enough for the driver clutch to clear the bottom frame. Make the belt straight from there.

It should be a pretty straight forward swap, you may even start with a Honda FL350 belt.

underpowered? my '81 (i don't know what all has been done, but carb is same size, and is max bored) it will spin 23" buckshot mudders on some knarly asphalt. drifts nicely