OHV problems.

i am currently running a early 2000's 5.5s briggs intek OHV. for a while i was running straight air, no filter. this was partialy because of a small fuel leak out of the intake. this was a minor headache but the (free) engine still ran, so it was cool with me. one day my brother comes up to me and says the engine wont start. fuel level is good, so i cranked on it and got it runinng with some coaxing, but the bike would only run on 1/4 choke. i looked for gasket malfunctions or anywhere it could be getting air. even through the airfilter on for good measure, still wouldnt run with no choke. so i took the carburetor apart to see what i could see, and found little red chunks of gasket in the 'hole' the pin for the fuel inlet sits. not knowing i tryed pickin out the chunks. put everything back together and the carb belches out fuel in a steady stream. were those red chunks an essential gasket limiting fuel intake? have i screwed over my engine? any advice or ideas welcome. if you have any questions ill answer because my description is somewhat ambigious... thanks

Your carburetor float valve is malfunctioning. It's not shutting off fuel when the bowl is full and gravity is pushing the gas out of the flooded bowl and the carb. The needle in the valve which is attached to the bowl float is usually tipped by a rubber point. As long as that's still there, make sure the valve is clean and reassemble. Check if the valve is working by holding the carb upside down and blowing into the fuel line. If it lets no air in upside down but does right-side-up, it's fixed.

If the needle isn't capable of closing the valve, you'll need to replace the needle.

You will need to replace the float valve needle seal on the inlet side. They come in red and cream color. Remove your carb from the motor to make it easier to work on. Remove carb bowl then the float and needle. Use strong air pressure to bow out any remaining bits pieces of the old seal. Install new seal using a drill bit flat end to press seal in the inlet. Make sure it is perfectly flat inside to ensure it won't leak. Good Luck