oiling centrifical clutch bushing

do you put a drop or two of oil at the outer washer area to lube the bushing? what is the best oil to use. I assume its a bushing and not a needle bearing. thank you.

Last edited:

gbabins1

I use whatever type of oil I have around, any weight motor oil seems to be fine. I take off the outer clip and oil the bushing / with a few drops. Oil it every few hours of riding and your clutch should last a long time. Proper gearing for your type of riding will prolong its life too.
do you put a drop or two of oil at the outer washer area to lube the bushing? what is the best oil to use. I assume its a bushing and not a needle bearing. thank you.
Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

olddog

I use whatever type of oil I have around, any weight motor oil seems to be fine. I take off the outer clip and oil the bushing / with a few drops. Oil it every few hours of riding and your clutch should last a long time. Proper gearing for your type of riding will prolong its life too.

Same thing here, the clutches seem to last a while, even though I'm fat and ride underpowered bikes that never get up to speed....

The OldMiniBikes warehouse pod cast at the gray goat garage just explained all of this last night on the show. Facebook live. Might want to tune in on Thursdays to learn.

and I hear that Eric, Gray Goat guy is really handsome!:001_tt2:
Ooooookay.....::001_tt2:

Anywho, something I tried, just being different. Took a couple table spoons of Lucas oil additive, and dumped a whole tube of powdered graphite into it. Mixed it up real good and coated the engine shaft. Been two years, and is holding up very well.

gbabins1

Haha! I'm probably not the ideal weight either...(255lbs) We have like 5 bikes and each one is geared for its purpose. Seems to me if you do the maintenance every so often clutches can last for years (and we aren't easy on them). We will usually have the sprocket separate from the outter drum before they actually wear out [emoji23]
Same thing here, the clutches seem to last a while, even though I'm fat and ride underpowered bikes that never get up to speed....