Ok so it looks like I'm going to need to buy a welder

WLB

A welder is a tool that you will find useful all your life. If at all possible buy a name brand that parts will be available for years to come. This is not the time to think cheap. A flux core welder would be my last choice for minibike work.

I agree. Flux core wouldn't be your best interest. Save a little longer for something better. The Hobart mentioned above is a nice choice as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me personally, I'd get a dual voltage (110 and 220) name brand, gas mig machine. either Lincoln, Miller or Hobart. all depends on financial availability. for sure gas regardless though.

I agree with what others have posted here. Any welder is better than no welder, but you won't regret getting a high quality one...and you'll never believe how much you'll use one if you get one. I used a Century 140A for years. It was nice, but it doesn't compare to my Miller. The Century didn't have a perfectly constant feed rate like the Miller does. I'm a much better welder today!
Joe

Don't skimp and don't go flux core. You will regret it in the long run.

First buy name brand. That way you can buy parts and or have it repaired if the need arises.

I currently own 4 Mig welders and bought 3 of them new. I have an old Lincoln 150 amp 220 volt machine that wont quit. Plus a second one just like it that I bought used from a friend. I have a Miller 140 Auto Set machine that I would highly recommend to anyone wanting there first machine. You can manually adjust wire speed or click it to "Auto Set" and the machine will adjust the wire speed as you go. Just set the Amps to the recommended setting on the chart inside the lid and go to welding. Its as close to pre adjusted as you will get for what ever thickness metal you are welding. I also have a Miller 251 Mig that will weld 1/2 inch in a single pass that I use for everything except sheet metal. And I mean everything.

I have a friend that replaced an old Century Mig with a Miller 212 Mig and now wonders how he ever welded anything. It has the Auto Set feature also.

Here is a link to the new Miller 141's

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/mig-gmaw/millermatic-141-mig-welder-m00486

I have numerous other welders from a Lincoln 300 amp AC/DC water cooled Tig/stick machine that I almost never use. A Miller AC/DC stick machine that I almost never use. A Miller Diversion 180 Tig machine that I absolutely love. Lenco spot welder for body panels. Miller Plasma cutter that is rated for 7/8th steel that I almost never use.

When I reach for a Welder I always reach for my Miller 140 Mig. Its quick and simple. If I am wanting to do more refined welding then I pull out the Diversion and do some Tig welding.

Shop the Miller 141 on line and you can find a good price. You might be surprised what you can buy it for from a local welding shop too.

When you get the new welder your first project should be building a welding cart for it. Good practice and a chance to get familiar with the machine. I would post pics of my carts but I have a dead camera and have no other way to take pics that I can use.

I live in the dark ages.... I still have a flip phone and am the only house in sight with an antenna on the roof.... :doah:

Spend a few more dollars now and have a machine that will last a life time with just 10 minutes worth of maintenance every couple of years.

You wont regret it that's for sure.

Doug

Last edited:
I have a Hobart Handler 210 MVP and love it. It's a great machine and was real reasonable..Bought it at Tractor Supply on sale... I had sold my old Millermatic 200 and then bought the Hobart as it didn't take up so much space...they are made by Miller BTW... It welds just as good as the Miller I had...and will weld on 110 or 220v
Please heed the others and buy a decent American Mig unit and stay away from the flux core also...those are "lifetime" tools...

IMG_2069.JPG

Have you searched Craigslist?????? I see some on the list around here on occasion. People buy them and do a job or 2 and don't need them anymore.

Doug

So does everyone agree this would be a good welder?
I would not spend the same money for that welder that a Miller 141 can be bought for with infinite voltage adjustment. The Hobart has 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 for voltage choice. You truly want the infinite adjustment on the voltage. You will be surprised how just a very small adjustment in Voltage will make a difference in the weld. You cant get that with a machine that only gives a next step up or down with nothing in between.

I had a Lincoln 175 weld pack and for some reason I sold it. Well then I bought a Clarke 180 SD and it is a great little machine and I got the regulator for using a gas shield it was only used a few times as a flux core welder it came with a auto darkening helmet. Only issue is the weld lead is a bit shorter than the Lincoln machine had.

I am currently looking at the miller 211 but keep coming back to the Hobart MVP
Just a heads up. And this will all depend on what your intended use will be. If you have any plans to do sheet metal, as in auto body or patch panel work, neither one of these is the correct choice. And the miller is the better choice of the 2 with the infinite voltage adjustment but they don't like .023 wire and sheet metal. Yes they are rated down to 24 gauge but don't consider that as accurate as it should be. It will weld 24 gauge but it doesn't like it. I will fight you all the way. Been there with my buddies 212. I ended up using my 140 with no problems. If you are going to be doing 14 gauge and thicker then you are in the right place. The 212 will weld anything 14 gauge and up with great results. Especially using the Auto Set feature.

Also the 110 volt use wont weld as thick as the 220 volt use will. Just incase you had not seen that tidbit.

Just trying to cover all the info that will help you make the best choice for YOU.

Doug

I have a Hobart Handler 210 MVP and love it. It's a great machine and was real reasonable..Bought it at Tractor Supply on sale... I had sold my old Millermatic 200 and then bought the Hobart as it didn't take up so much space...they are made by Miller BTW... It welds just as good as the Miller I had...and will weld on 110 or 220v
Please heed the others and buy a decent American Mig unit and stay away from the flux core also...those are "lifetime" tools...

View attachment 96033
I think you might need to buff that hood and fender a little more... Its not quite got that mirror like finish it should... :anon.sml:

Doug