Old amusement park go cart

About to purchase vintage amusement park go cart from 70s or 80 s ? Does any body know anything about these? It has a fiberglass body ( adult size ), that kind of resembles older can am race car. For what I can figure out so far I'm thinking something along the lines of a turn pike type ride. Wish I could load some pictures but I've been having trouble for a couple weeks now trying to get my mini bike pictures on, though will try again! Any help would be appreciated! Would like to know if its collectable before I start chopping it up and modifying it? Thanks for your help!!!!

I remember those old rides. I've always thought about trying to find either a car or bike to convert into a running machine.
And to post pics, click the Go Advanced tab between the Quick Reply and Cancel tabs when making your post. Then click on manage pics, then click browse, select the picture and click upload.

Shawn

Last edited:
I remember them, called a Verage or something similar and they were fast as hell with rotax engines I believe. I had the license and turned respectable lap times, they stuffed padding around you if you drove too hard so your ribs wouldn't break. Another kid was turning laps a second faster than mine and took a while but he was finally caught jumping the hairpin and warned not to continue, his times fell under mine which were fast but there were drivers that could legitimately beat me fairly regularly. I miss Malibu Grand Prix.

Personally I would be worried abot the condition if you plan to keep the engine. Most parks I knew of with kart tracks were staffed by teenagers, many of whom were high or drunk often, and the karts may have seen one oil change in their lifespan. They used to just top off the oil occasionally and do no other maintenance unless the kart was immobilized. Way back when, I dated a girl who worked at two such places :doah:

Outlaw Ace...I still have my Malibu Grand Prix license lol Loved those places and if I remember correctly if you broke the track record your license was upgraded so you could request to drive the "ungoverned" car on display. My brother did it out in Phoenix and every track we went to he flashed the license around hahaha
Also weren't they 2 strokers ?? I don't think you'd have to worry about oil changes ! I remember them pulling cars aside to "cool down" after so many laps.

I still have my Malibu Grand Prix license from '79 I think. I got it at what I think was the original track in Cali. I remember at the time Paul Newman had the track record and nobody could even get near it. I always figured they had given him the best car they had but he was a heck of a driver too.

Last edited:
The OP mentioned something about a "Turnpike Car". Those were heavily governed slow moving engine powered cars that followed a steel rail in the road so you could only steer so far and couldn't veer off course.

About to purchase vintage amusement park go cart from 70s or 80 s ? Does any body know anything about these? It has a fiberglass body ( adult size ), that kind of resembles older can am race car. For what I can figure out so far I'm thinking something along the lines of a turn pike type ride. Wish I could load some pictures but I've been having trouble for a couple weeks now trying to get my mini bike pictures on, though will try again! Any help would be appreciated! Would like to know if its collectable before I start chopping it up and modifying it? Thanks for your help!!!!
Try cleaning your cookies. The site was having problems with photos a few weeks ago but that is all square now.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the response guys! I'm actually heading to work in a minute, but when I get home tonight I'll try with the pictures again. Its not a Malibu grand Prix car, I use to drive them when I lived down in south Florida. I under stand a new interstate goes through where it use to be! This is a can am style fiberglass bodied cart with a Honda 5.5 and gear reduction. The more modern motor throws me off a little, not sure when Honda started producing those engines? I find a date of 4/76, but I doubt it was that long ago they started making them! Any body know where I can find the date of manufacture, maybe I'm looking at the wrong numbers! Thanks, looking forward to more feed back. By the way, this thing fires up first pull and idles down real nice and smooth. No knocks, no smoke!