Old Lil Indian I just picked up

ugmold

An old Lil Indian popped up on Craigs List and I bought it. A little crusty, but all there. Don't know the model or year, has a foot/scrub brake, it does have the brackets for the sprocket disc brake, 2hp Briggs and actually started on the 3rd pull with a squirt of gas. Gonna take my time stripping it down and bringing it back to some level of dignity. Probably will sell my newer Lil Indian now.
The newer one in case you're interested: https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...139-lil-indian-1st-post.html?highlight=ugmold

The one I just picked up.

https://youtu.be/l3XMv4FfxWI

[video=youtube_share;l3XMv4FfxWI]https://youtu.be/l3XMv4FfxWI[/video]

Last edited:

markus

Looks to be a 69-70 Has a fat headtube. Scrub brake setup, and chainguard are shade tree add ons, and the engine plate is incorrect or heavily modified. Hard to say what was done to it with the engine on there and a shaky video, could have possibly been a 700 frame though as the front of the engine plate is pretty far forward (if they just added onto the existing or something). But with that style grip on it probably not as they used "cushionare" grips on that model.

Engine is 80's vintage I would say due to decaling, and tank configuration, and is not correct. Neither are the wheels, front is an offset wheel probably off a garden tractor, Rear wheel is incorrect style as well and has been modified to fit.

The throttle grip is original, take care of it they are very hard to find, and someone may have the dummy side for you or need The throttle side if your not going to "restore" the bike. throttle itself looks OG as well, if it is it wont have the tension adjuster option on it. someone may want the bottom for a correct resto so save that if your restoring too.

oldschoolminibike.com usually has replacement engine plates in both 700 and standard cut and available for the LI's, they also sell a 4" wheel and tire set that is pretty close to the original steel wheels they used as well....at least as close as you can come with modern parts anyway. That frame will accommodate your 6" mags though off your other bike if your use 4.10 sized tires and get that modded on scrub brake off. so that option is there too.

Seat has correct shape to a version that LI used, it may have just been recovered, worth a look underneath if it feels like there is another cover under there, or at least the foam is cut right.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

ugmold

Thanks Markus,
The engine is indeed from the 80's, I checked the numbers. I noticed some welds along the left side of the engine mount plate that looked suspicious along with a slight gap. I'll do another video when I pull it apart for easier ID. Now I looked around and saw several Lil Indians with that scrub brake exactly like mine, could it have been aftermarket? It does have the tabs for the sprocket disc brake and cable.

I thought the front wheel was original, but not the rear. Would love to get some mag$ for it. The throttle top and bottom are both split, but the throttle tube is ok. I looked on the rear wheel mounts to try to find a number (although I know they don't tell you much) but the chain guard is in the way, and I really don't want to start pulling this apart as I have a lot of projects going on and house re-construction starting soon. But scratched some black paint off and it looks like it may have been metallic gold originally, or perhaps just a more professional older paint job. The seat is a bit weird, the front is not square yet the cover seems to conform to it? It does look like the shape of theold seats. My friend had a Lil Indian in the 70's same style seat but metallic red, white and blue stars and stripes in the spirit of "Easy Rider" I guess. His bike is the reason for this purpose, lasting envy. lol

So what would be the tire size if I used the 6 inch mags?

Thanks
Sorry about shaky video, too excited to set up a tripod.

markus

4.10/3.50x6" was the tire size they used on the LI small frames when they did use them. They never used a scrub brake from the factory. That brake unit does look like its from a Bird made bike, also the rear wheel looks passable as one used on a couple of bird bikes too. Bird did for a time sell parts individually to the general public.