Old/New Skat Kitty Owner

Hello everyone from good ol' Muncie, Indiana. When I was 5 or 6 years old, I was given an awesome Skat Kitty minibike. I rode it for a year or so before it stopped for good. When I was 12 or 13, I decided to give my mechanical skills the test and fix the bike. My (not so nice) father found out, made me gather up the parts, put it in a locked shed to never see it again...until recently. My (estranged) father passed away this spring and I as I was going through his estate, what do you think I found. My little Skat Kitty buried under a ton of junk. It was all there...the bike and the sidecar. The original Tecumseh engine was nowhere to be found, but everything else was in decent shape.
So, here I am 37 years later with this little beaut. I have been restoring it to the best of my ability and hope to have it up and running by July 4th. To say this has been a passionate job is selling it short
Video of the First Start

IMG_0821.jpg

New engine (the original 2.5 Tecumseh was long gone), clutch, foam for seat (vinyl was still in top shape). I still need to modify the exhaust and attach the straight pipe. Attach chain guard and get the throttle set. I did a "shake and spray" on the scratches and it matched the paint perfectly (thanks Lowes!) .

I will be working on it all week. My goal is to get it going by the 4th. More photos and video to come!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update seeing that the challenge is to get it ride able and that engine look like a good fit. I know the 4th almost here as there are about 50 flags out in the front yard.

Got it together. Have some minor tweaks and just ordered a gas tank (current one is just temporary) that more closely resembles the original. Hope to have it completely done by this weekend. Fingers crossed.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Finally...after much, much and much more tinkering, I finally got the Kitty up and running. Had to get a couple of custom pieces made, but overall...it came out nicely.
Now...for a question to Skat Kitty owners...HOW does the brake mount? I see some photos where it is in the front or back. I currently have it mounted facing back (use your left heel to apply the brake.) . That just seems awkward to me and it scrapes the ground when you turn left. However, if I turn it and mount to the front, the brake rod (if that is what it is called) rides up pretty high and close to the chain. Any ideas?
[video=youtube_share;-eXf42u0xkA]https://youtu.be/-eXf42u0xkA[/video]

Last edited:
I am currently entertaining offers on the Skat Kitty on ebay. Just do a search for "Skat Kitty with Sidecar". My apologies if this is not the right place to post this. New to the forums.