Opinions on which engine to start with

I plan to build a Honda or clone type engine with cam, billet rod, etc. in the near future to put into a Bonanza I have. I have fresh Robin/Subaru engines in 6.0 and 4.5 hp and also what I think is a 7hp Champion.

Also have some older Honda engines that I believe are 5.5hp

I know the Hondas are stronger but not rated as high as some of the newer clones. Does it really matter power-wise once you start changing cams, rockers, headers, etc or is it that much better to start with an engine rated for more hp to start with?

Hopefully this question makes sense...

Honda blocks in the GX 160/200 are preferred.
Just checked and found a couple GX160s and a GX120 in my stash as well as 3 or 4 that don't have the logo on the cover anymore.

Is there a way to ID them off the block?

The entire engine or just the block and heads and swap in clone rotating parts?

Are they preferred for strength or are they capable of more power?

Would there be less power by starting with the GX160 over a 6.0 or higher clone?

Thanks, Tom

There is no substitute for cubic centermeters. Hop Sing is watching. They sell the Honda engines at a farm supply store for $418.00, the Predator engines they sell at Harbor Fright look identical except for the color. Use the biggest engine you have or step up to the plate and buy a Predator.

I have another one, I'm blocked from posting anymore pictures. I'm not proud that I used a Predator engine. I looked all over for a new B&S flathead and they stopped selling them. The B&S is a pile of junk to begin with, I wanted something that looked brand new instead of spending my time detailing a B&S. It's not like swapping engines in a car, a mini bike takes minutes to swap engines. It still drives me nuts for ever using Hop Sing parts in a old car.

The B&S is a pile of junk to begin with
I don't know what you are talking about. In my experience, the Brigss is very tough and makes great power for it's size an technology. I have a bone stock 5hp Briggs on my small Bonanza and have it geared down to about an 8.72 ratio through the jackshaft and it will drag my fat ass up a near cliff 4 ft high. I ride it wide open at 7000 RPM and have done this hundreds of times.

It still drives me nuts for ever using Hop Sing parts in a old car.
I have hop sing rods in my roller 455. The hop sing crank I have in my "better" short block bit me by eating the thrust bearing. Now it just sits and my american made billet rods sitting in there too. I'm surprised those rods got along with the crank LOL

Aluminum cylinder walls just like a Vega. They wear out fast in dusty conditions. All the B&S engines didn't use the iron cylinder walls like they started doing with the 5hp engines.

I have hop sing rods in my roller 455. The hop sing crank I have in my "better" short block bit me by eating the thrust bearing. Now it just sits and my american made billet rods sitting in there too. I'm surprised those rods got along with the crank LOL
The rods are still in my engine, it still makes me nervous. Never again, I know there in there even though you can't see them. I have all the American parts to do a 455, it would just sit on the engine stand like a fresh engine that is on there now.

Aluminum cylinder walls just like a Vega. They wear out fast in dusty conditions. All the B&S engines didn't use the iron cylinder walls like they started doing with the 5hp engines.
I've got a couple 2hp bikes that my niece and nephew have rode for years in the dustiest of environments and have no air cleaners on them. No problem. I didn't care to protect them as I have dozens of these engines I have bought with edgers for $10 to $15 each. Plenty of spares LOL

I think the Predator engine weighs less, it also has a lower center of gravity. I know where there are some B&S engines, I already have a 3hp. I just don't want to mess with cleaning and painting one. I can put more doodads on the Predator because it takes up less space in the frame.

They probably wouldn't be hard to make. I'd put one right on the back window of a Pontiac. I think they have computer programs to make decals. I have to disquise the Predator engine in the Mickey Bike with American decals made in Asia. Soon as they see the plate and the Predator engine someone is going to say they sell those engines at HF.

Last edited: