opinions please, should I reuse this connecting rod

Is that a stain or dissimiliar metal corrosion? If its in the grain of the metal not worth re- using. Have you tried polishing it with emery cloth? Is it still within manufactures specs?

WLB

What kind of 500 cc engine is it? With all the rod kits available from aftermarket sources, surely you can get a rod kit. sometimes you can match up center to center length and bearing and pin sizes without the parts being listed as specific for any certain bike.

But to answer your question, that rod is junk in my opinion.

oldfatguy

that rod is junk, I would use it if it were a 3hp briggs rod but not in anything good. It's not worth the risk of ruining the engine just to save a few bucks.

MB165

Its my 1985 honda CR500, water damage. From 84-86 they used a 138mm rod. they are now NLA, the newer 143mm rod is still avail through many suppliers. a spacer plate from cometic must be used to goto the long rod. I would prefer the oem part, because the HP does suffer from the change, at least I have an option to keep the old turd running.
I emailed TKRJ rod company to see if they will do a run of these, there are several other people needing them on another group.

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
When the new rod kits for Maico's got scarce I discovered that the original crank roller bearings were 3mm which is roughly .120 Dia. So what I did, was find 1/8" american size rollers the same width, which were .125 Dia. open the cage up with a jewelers file so they fit. and then take the rod, a good pin, the bearings and cage to a good automotive machine shop and have the rod machined to just clear the new rollers and pin. Got me out of a bind a couple of times. Might be worth looking into.

From what I've read the 83-85 used the short rod giving it high compression. For some reason Honda starting detuning the motor in 86 and every couple years after that. Yes you can use the later model upper but you will need the spacer to bring it back to 83-85 performance.