Oregon Minibike Racing, Feb. 8/9

Northwest mini riders have a chance to get out and race on Fri/Sat, Feb. 8/9 at the Oregon State Fairgrounds in Salem. The One Pro Motorcycle races are part of the the 10th anniversary The One Moto Show in Portland, Feb 8,9,10. The big banked clay oval is indoors and the event will run rain or shine. There will be several classes for motorcycles, from little kids to top national pros, and there will be a class just for pull-start minibikes. The gate fee is $12.00 and race entries in the mini class are $20.00. You can pre-enter through the link below (click the race tab, then "buy tickets"), or sign up at the track on race day. Saturday is the big event, but there is also a warmup race on Friday night. I've posted Saturday's schedule below. Beginners are welcome. You need a full-face helmet, boots, gloves, and eye protection. Up to date info is on the Salem Speedway FB page. I'll be taking photos, but I've got a guy lined up to ride my Fimco mini. The more the merrier.

The One Show & Races

Salem Speedway on Facebook

I forgot to update this thread. Race went well. We won.

I recruited a fast teenage 85cc racer to pilot my #116 1971 Fimco Lil' Butch. He won going away and lapped about half of the field. The win paid $115. It was supposed to pay $114, but the organizers had no $1 bills. Rider kept the money at my urging, but he insisted that I take the trophy so it would stay with the bike.

Besides minibikes, there was a big pro class, hooligans, and others. There were several Yamaha enduros in the vintage classes. National racer Sam Halbert (69) earned $5,000 for his pro class win and another $1,000 for winning the dash for cash. Former national flat track champ Joe Kopp won the hooligan class. This race was round # of the Roland Sands/Indian national hooligan series.

Here are a few pics. More photos and a race report have been posted to my FB page, Northwest Track Shots.

How often do they have the minis race with the bikes?
Thanks for asking. There are a few flat track series in the Northwest, but none have minis as a regular class. Minis were included in The One Pro races in Salem, Ore., in Feb., and they will also have their own class at The Wild One event in Castle Rock Wash., on Aug. 3. Most of the local tracks would run a class for minis anytime, as long as three or more show up. There just hasn't been enough interest.