Paint the Sprocket?

I'm in the process of restoring a Cat 250. I ordered the rear sprocket but its bare metal. Should I paint it? any specific rattle can paint? or different type? Thanks

capguncowboy

i second clear coating them. The paint will wear off on the teeth, and then it's two-toned. If you clear coat it, at least all of it will look the same.

I've had trouble locating argent silver, but have found that "chrome" spray paint gets the job done. I clear coat over it in polyurethane. You don't notice chain wear on sprocket teeth.

If you're not too concerned with originality zinc plating looks great and you can do it at home on small parts. It'll hold up better than paint. Eastwood sells a hobbyist kit for around $30 bucks, I've been using mine on everything from small hardware to my Flexo fork legs with excellent results:thumbsup:.

I've had trouble locating argent silver, but have found that "chrome" spray paint gets the job done. I clear coat over it in polyurethane. You don't notice chain wear on sprocket teeth.
Dave,
If you need to locate argent silver paint in a spray can, Eastwood sells it item #10001Z
Mopar Performance also sells what I think is the best match in a spray can.......here's a couple pictures with the part number for the Mopar Performance paint..................

Dave,
If you need to locate argent silver paint in a spray can, Eastwood sells it item #10001Z
Mopar Performance also sells what I think is the best match in a spray can.......here's a couple pictures with the part number for the Mopar Performance paint..................
Awesome! Thanks for that link. I guess I never really dug in to it. Silver is silver. This stuff is probably way higher quality. Book marked. :thumbsup:

Awesome! Thanks for that link. I guess I never really dug in to it. Silver is silver. This stuff is probably way higher quality. Book marked. :thumbsup:
Higher Quality??? I doubt it... But as far as color match, the mopar performance argent silver is dead on............:thumbsup:

Gatecrasher

I manufacture sprockets for Kawasaki Mt1 / KV75 and zinc plate them (just like the factory) but sometimes I'll paint a used one with Krylon metallic paint. Looks pretty-close to zinc. I've never seen any sprockets painted Argent Silver though. It's more of a dark non-metallic silver that was widely used on GM cars. Looks more like dull aluminum than zinc. The rear cove of my 1965 Nova SS is painted Argent silver.

I manufacture sprockets for Kawasaki Mt1 / KV75 and zinc plate them (just like the factory) but sometimes I'll paint a used one with Krylon metallic paint. Looks pretty-close to zinc. I've never seen any sprockets painted Argent Silver though. It's more of a dark non-metallic silver that was widely used on GM cars. Looks more like dull aluminum than zinc. The rear cove of my 1965 Nova SS is painted Argent silver.
Here are several models with painted sprockets. It's hard to tell from the photos, but several of us have got original Cat sprockets painted with this silver.

"But" here is the kicker: If you look at some of those models, they sport the disc brake/sprocket setup. I cant fathom a MFGR painting a sprocket that will be used as a brake rotor. Then again, anything is possible.

Never seen any Cat sprockets with zinc plating. Which is why I either chrome them, or paint them. :laugh:

CAT MINIBIKE ADS (HPE MUSKIN)

I used the flywheel grinder at work to machine 5 thousandths off the outside of my sprocket then I shot some clear on it. It looks like the prism tape from the 70's. It won't let me post a picture of it.