Painting plastic gas tanks

copyman

Hi,

Can the plastic TEC gas tanks be painted with same white paint as engines to match? This is the tank that has grain on top and sides and bottom are smooth (see pic). No problem painting the metal brackets just don't want the paint to peel off like I've seen with plastic. If someone has done it, is procedure same, primer, paint, clear coat?

Thanks for the help

Attachments

Painted this tank first using adhesion promotor, then epoxy primer then kirker two part paint. Looked great for at least a year until I put ethanol gas in it and forgot to drain it. I suspect that the gas slowly passes thru the plastic as a vapor but anyway it started to bubble with a Pocket of air or fuel fumes under the paint/primer. I have no idea if non ethanol would prevent it but I doubt it.

Attachments

copyman

Painted this tank first using adhesion promotor, then epoxy primer then kirker two part paint. Looked great for at least a year until I put ethanol gas in it and forgot to drain it. I suspect that the gas slowly passes thru the plastic as a vapor but anyway it started to bubble with a Pocket of air or fuel fumes under the paint/primer. I have no idea if non ethanol would prevent it but I doubt it.
Hi, Thanks for the heads up. Think I will try the peroxide first.

copyman

I’ve done three white tanks with peroxide paste…all look fairly new..all
You need is peroxide paste Saran Wrap and the sun….and about 3 hours….turn every 30 minutes or to your personal desire….
Hi, do you make the peroxide paste or buy it? thanks

copyman

Hi Skipp. Just ordered the peroxide from Amazon. Seems like it's easy enough to do. Have tank soaking in water with bleach but doesn't look like it's doing much so once I get the peroxide will try that.

By the way thanks for the offer to send it to you.

Thanks for sharing your tips & tricks!

Just went out to take pics of the tank today. When the bubbling first happened it was on the top of the tank. Looks like the bubble got a split in it and just now the bubble is not there and the top looks OK. now the bubbling is along the seam of the tank. While this is unacceptable to us a casual observer might not notice but I think in the future Ill be trying the peroxide method.

Attachments

copyman

Thanks ole4 & skipp for the heads up.

I will report back with pictures after I try the peroxide. Now I know why women use that peroxide to turn hair blond! Does a nice job on hair and gas tanks, haha.

How the hell does someone find out about this stuff working on plastic? Did you see it on internet or just try it your self?

copyman

This is best I could get the tank using peroxide & sun as suggested. A little better but still yellow. The person I sold engine to wanted the tank yellow or not. Shame takes away from the nice paint job on engine & tank brackets. Wish there was a way to paint or coat them successfully.

Attachments