Parts companies?

So I need some gaskets, carb and gas tank parts for my 1968 B&S 60202 engine (2.25hp).
Parts Tree showed that they had all of the parts I needed, but before I placed my order I checked their reviews and a lot of them weren't too pretty.
Question:
Who do you order from that you have been happy with?

Thanks again for any help.
-Doug-

Minimichael

I got my start on a 61102 when the pandemic started. I wanna say I had my best luck with NOS on ebay - for mechanical stuff like valves and rings. Amazon for consumables like gaskets - which can be hit or miss, but if you look for names like Stens or Rotary you should be okay. I took lots of notes, tracking down some of the part# superseded things...

Attachments

I got my start on a 61102 when the pandemic started. I wanna say I had my best luck with NOS on ebay - for mechanical stuff like valves and rings. Amazon for consumables like gaskets - which can be hit or miss, but if you look for names like Stens or Rotary you should be okay. I took lots of notes, tracking down some of the part# superseded things...
Smart minds think alike. Lol.
After I posted above, I copied down the part numbers and was able to track all of the parts I need through three different Ebay sellers. I always look a sellers feedback before I buy. I've been on eBay since they started back in 1998, and learned the hard way a few times.

Do you happen to have a photo or two of the engine you worked on?
I would love to see them if you do.

Thanks for the reply.

-Doug in NC-

Attachments

Minimichael

Lol, and yeah it's a time saver to write numbers down as you come across them. I've even started taping notes to the engines piling up in the corner! That's a nice little engine you got there. I don't have many pics, but have attached a few. My little red 61000 replaced the 5S that came with my first minibike rebuild. And certainly breathed some life into it.

Attachments

Lol, and yeah it's a time saver to write numbers down as you come across them. I've even started taping notes to the engines piling up in the corner! That's a nice little engine you got there. I don't have many pics, but have attached a few. My little red 61000 replaced the 5S that came with my first minibike rebuild. And certainly breathed some life into it.
Wow Michael, that's a great looking mini.
I'm just hoping to get mine to riding condition right now. I'm hoping some day I can have a restored beauty like your and some of the other here on the sight.
I'm just learning and having fun with my 3 wheel mini right now. I loved it because it was unusual and cheap ($125). I think I have about $350 into it now, and $100 of that was for a new seat. Lol.
Thanks for the great pictures.

Minimichael

Hey thanks. It's a pretty rough frame that's been chopped a lot, but the white paint helped. A trike sounds fun! Have you opened up your engine yet? Gonna rebuild it? I personally have enjoyed the 2 and 3 hp flatheads here. You can get plenty of power out of them, for sure.

Hey thanks. It's a pretty rough frame that's been chopped a lot, but the white paint helped. A trike sounds fun! Have you opened up your engine yet? Gonna rebuild it? I personally have enjoyed the 2 and 3 hp flatheads here. You can get plenty of power out of them, for sure.
It was actually running really good but I think the crud in the gas tank clogged up the carb and I couldn't get it to start again. I took off the tank and am cleaning that out now. Ordered a new carb to tank gasket and fill tubes. Took the carb off and cleaned it. Ordered new gaskets.
Im hoping it fires up fine once I put it back together. It has a clutch now instead of the pulley that it came with. New tires and tubes. Need to figure out the whole gas pedal / brake and throttle connection still.

What color red/orange did you use on your engine? It looks great.

Here's a video of mine running......

https://youtube.com/shorts/4biLPlBFZqg?feature=share

Last edited:

Minimichael

Had to look and dig this out of the cabinet. Sounds like a great runner! it's funny, mine came with that dual pulley, too. Is that the engine that came on your trike? And do you have a picture? I'm working on a throttle set up this evening, in fact. Installing a bearing to stabilize the twister is like night and day.
- Mike, in Chicago

Attachments

Had to look and dig this out of the cabinet. Sounds like a great runner! it's funny, mine came with that dual pulley, too. Is that the engine that came on your trike? And do you have a picture? I'm working on a throttle set up this evening, in fact. Installing a bearing to stabilize the twister is like night and day.
- Mike, in Chicago
Chicago? I'm originally from LaPorte, Ind about an hour from you. Now living in NC.
Thanks for that paint color.
Here's a few pix of when I bought the trike.

Attachments

I wouldn't paint anything on that sidecar rig, it has to be extremely rare, especially with it being nearly original, probably worth five figures to the right collector.
I like the way you think. Lol.
I know I've never seen one. I was trying to keep it as original as possible. Still has the original paint I was puzzled when I bought it because the engine had a pulley on it, but the rear had a socket on it. Not sure why that was?

Attachments

Minimichael

Oh it's got a sidecar! I thought three wheeler meant trike, sorry. Cool bike and I love the gas pedal thing. It looks one of a kind and fun indeed. And yes, a tricky throttle setup?The car has got to be good for kids, and beer runs I bet. We've been to the OBX and love it. Such a beautiful drive from here, too. My mission this summer is to find places to ride these minis, tho. I should probably explore IN more. Lot of country road :)

Oh it's got a sidecar! I thought three wheeler meant trike, sorry. Cool bike and I love the gas pedal thing. It looks one of a kind and fun indeed. And yes, a tricky throttle setup?The car has got to be good for kids, and beer runs I bet. We've been to the OBX and love it. Such a beautiful drive from here, too. My mission this summer is to find places to ride these minis, tho. I should probably explore IN more. Lot of country road :)
Yep, I rode all over northern Indiana on my 1975 Kawasaki 175 as a teen. Loved it.
Lots of great country back there still.
This is what I have now. 1974 Suzuki TS185.

Attachments

What a great looking bike! I've driven back roads between here and Elkhart a lot. I bought my white mini from a guy in Northern IN actually.
Hey Michael,
Did you convert yours from points to electronic ignition?
If so do you have any part #'s?
Was it easy to do?
The reason I ask is, I am no mechanic and these small engines are new to me.
When I first got it, I took it to a local hardware store to have them look it over and get it running. I asked him to change it over to electronic ignition. When I opened it up yesterday I saw this. Is this the part that should have been replaced?
It looks older than dirt. There is a small wire on the backside that is disconnected.
It did run fine when I got it home. That's the video I posted after I got it back.

Attachments

Minimichael

No. Tho I have gone on that wild goose chase with a similar model, so I will tell you here what I recall from the experience. First of all, the electronic ignition upgrade only works for two legged coils and not three legged coils. Three legged coils went out of style I want to say around the time of these models for maybe the 80,000 version. Sure, there's a lot of chatter about electronic ignitions and how easy they are, but I believe these folks are almost always talking about their five horsepower engines - not 2.5hps. Anyway, here's my coil, and my notes just fyi. Notice that my coil has three legs and the one on your engine now only has two. Notice also that my flywheel has two magnets... This is key to the problem, because the electronic ignition needs a single magnet flywheel. Also, and I'm no expert mind you, IF the double-legged coil and single magnet flywheel are replaced and installed onto these triple-legged/ double-magneted engines, then the resulting timing is off, and while it may start now and then if the stars and everything happen to line up with the universe, they are still generally speaking the wrong parts for these older engines. On the other hand, I could also be wrong about your particular coil, because I also understand they switched to the two-legged coil back around this time and it's possible these 60, 000 models were manufactured with both two and three legged versions. Finally, three legged coils can be rebuilt if it comes to that, but, story for another thread...?

Attachments

No. Tho I have gone on that wild goose chase with a similar model, so I will tell you here what I recall from the experience. First of all, the electronic ignition upgrade only works for two legged coils and not three legged coils. Three legged coils went out of style I want to say around the time of these models for maybe the 80,000 version. Sure, there's a lot of chatter about electronic ignitions and how easy they are, but I believe these folks are almost always talking about their five horsepower engines - not 2.5hps. Anyway, here's my coil, and my notes just fyi. Notice that my coil has three legs and the one on your engine now only has two. Notice also that my flywheel has two magnets... This is key to the problem, because the electronic ignition needs a single magnet flywheel. Also, and I'm no expert mind you, IF the double-legged coil and single magnet flywheel are replaced and installed onto these triple-legged/ double-magneted engines, then the resulting timing is off, and while it may start now and then if the stars and everything happen to line up with the universe, they are still generally speaking the wrong parts for these older engines. On the other hand, I could also be wrong about your particular coil, because I also understand they switched to the two-legged coil back around this time and it's possible these 60, 000 models were manufactured with both two and three legged versions. Finally, three legged coils can be rebuilt if it comes to that, but, story for another thread...?
Once again, thanks Michael. Great info. I better just leave mine be.

Hey Michael,
Did you convert yours from points to electronic ignition?
If so do you have any part #'s?
Was it easy to do?
The reason I ask is, I am no mechanic and these small engines are new to me.
When I first got it, I took it to a local hardware store to have them look it over and get it running. I asked him to change it over to electronic ignition. When I opened it up yesterday I saw this. Is this the part that should have been replaced?
It looks older than dirt. There is a small wire on the backside that is disconnected.
It did run fine when I got it home. That's the video I posted after I got it back.
Good Vibrations: The electronic conversion ("Magnetron") coil for your 2.5 HP engine is Briggs part # 591420. It is a very easy conversion to do. I would recommend getting the OEM Briggs coil, not the cheap aftermarket one.
Michael

Last edited: