Picked up $100 basket case.

Are all the orange ones 71? I’ve seen people with them listed fron 1967-1971 is there a serial number on yours. This one doesnt have the original engine so I cant go by that.

capguncowboy

those tanks are polyethylene and sealers won't stick to it. If it's cracked you can try plastic welding it with some more polyethylene

Hey, CapGunCowboy; is that polyethylene as in HDPE? If so, Harbor freight sells a "plastic welding kit" that is nothing more than a soldering iron with a little triangular shoe. It does work, as I've used it to repair a crack in the upper hull of a bass hunter type boat.
HDPE is used in a huge number of packaging products, and if one looks around, one can find a myriad of colors to use as fill sticks, should that be needed.

Roger

HDPE is used in a huge number of packaging products, and if one looks around, one can find a myriad of colors to use as fill sticks, should that be needed.
I tried to repair an HPE/Muskin (Cat) plastic tank for a year. I tried everything from various fillers and epoxies, to carefully applied tank sealer. Welding was the only solution.

I cut up an old Tecumseh plastic gas tank I wasn't going to use into strips that would fit in my hot glue gun. I used that to weld the crack. Probably would have been easier to get a proper plastic welder. I tried several soldering irons, but really needed a way to add plastic as a melted liquid. I imagine the better units can make a better bead than I ended up with. I was happy just to get the fuel to stop leaking.

Well I made it a roller again. I have too many projects. If I can’t sell it at a local swap meet I will bring it to Windber. Someone already asked me about it but the less weight I trailer to Windber the better. So if anyone is interested with a way to get it to them it is available. Its a good size and the fact it has front and rear brakes is a bonus. Its still covered in dirt and grease I’ll pressure wash it maybe this weekend.

Last edited:

bruces

You can weld the tank like you do a ski base .Get a piece of the same type of material ,cut it into a piece you can work with ,light it on fire ,and allow it to drip over the damaged areas of the tank ,kind of like a candle dripping wax if you held it sideways .It will burn you ,so don’t let it drip on you .After it cools you can sand it ,or whittle it down with a knife if you wish or just leave it

What model and year is this 10” wheel MTD. He said the plastic tank leaks. Can that be sealed.
Its a model 603 or if it came with lights it was a 653.
It might be that the front wheel came 12'' and rear 10''. I know my 703/753 (BMX handle bars)is setup like that. I have your model too but id have to measure as i'm not sure.