Picked up a Baldwin "Outlaw" Trail Cycle

Picked this one up yesterday. Needs some work to get it back to original condition. Believe it is a 1962 or earlier model. Has a front brake only. Trail cycle owners - please chime in to let me know if the jackshaft set up is correct....previous owner (about 60yrs old) got it from his father in law's Wyoming hunting cabin estate but never rode it. He tore it down and began to restore it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Okay, see that empty pulley on your first jackshaft? That is your rear brake.

It works by pulling a section of v-belt down into the pulley v. It is the same setup as older many of the older trail bikes. It doesn't look like much, but by being on the first jack shaft its braking power is compounded by the gearing. Right now your bike is in the low speed position, when you move the selector switch, it pulls the sprag off of the low gear set and engages the high speed gear set. I would suggest that you bring the bike to a stop before switching speeds, these old bikes were not designed to shift on the fly, plus spare parts are hard to come by. Again, great score!

A picture of my Pak Jak brake;

Last edited:
Hey BIG thanks for the info....I was wondering why there was an empty pulley there and then I saw a small 3-4 in piece of belt in the parts box that came with it. Now it makes sense.

The shifter handle does not move easily - looks like the jack shafts need some alignment which is done easily with the slots for the jack shaft bolts.

It works by pulling a section of v-belt down into the pulley v. It is the same setup as older many of the older trail bikes. It doesn't look like much, but by being on the first jack shaft its braking power is compounded by the gearing. Right now your bike is in the low speed position, when you move the selector switch, it pulls the sprag off of the low gear set and engages the high speed gear set. I would suggest that you bring the bike to a stop before switching speeds, these old bikes were not designed to shift on the fly, plus spare parts are hard to come by. Again, great score!

The shifter handle does not move easily - looks like the jack shafts need some alignment which is done easily with the slots for the jack shaft bolts.
Yep, I'd take it off and clean it real good. Study how the sprags engage each other, I suspect some of that pretty yellow paint is causing some of the binding. It appears the P.O. did a pretty good job of cleaning and preserving it, just double check his work, make sure everything is aligned, lubricated, and tightened.:thumbsup:

george3

cool find, looks like you already covered just about everything two speed very nice. like you said come to a complete stop to change the gears. top end in high should be real good, and low will tow your truck. May need some kind of lube on the shifter cluster area.