picked up a heald super bronc is it a vt10 or vt-8

Hello picked up this super bronc with tecumseh 10hp electric start with snow ski from a guy that had it sitting in his shed for 8yrs. He bought it as a project its missing the intake,carb and cleaner also the primary clutch and belt so I'll be in need of those parts to get this thing running and moving. But just wondering if everything was original as the tires are carlisle made in usa no dry rott o nothing. Not sure if the muffler is original or not its a taylor muffler never seen anything like it. Any input would be great.

Attachments

delray

nice find.........:thumbsup: looks like it came with the original engine. i see alot of the super bronc's with that big 10HP decal before. yes muffler is correct too.
just boot the motorcycle blinkers....:doah:

well I really wasn't going to by it but it was cheap and looked pretty close to original I thought :shrug: but you people really know your stuff and I really really appreciate it. The guy I got it from said the blinkers where original :shrug: not really sure and I'm hoping the engine is good it doesn't look like it has a lot of hours or road time on it as the 21x12-8 carlisle tires made in usa tires (never heard of that size before). Also is there suppose to be a tank on it I see some had it and some don't :shrug: just would like to get it rollin again:scooter:

Hello Diggers,

What a nice find !

That bike is beautiful.

Regarding the Carlisle 21x12-8...yes, those are original to my knowledge.

The 21x12-8 on the front was sold as an option.

The 'Taylor' muffler was used on them as well...not sure if they were sold stock, or if they were an aftermarket item. (Resident expert Rick Chatten Chatten63 will be chiming in I imagine to clarify.)

I believe the 10 hp makes it a VT-10 ?

Regarding the tank...they were sold stock, with the tank mounted on the tecumseh motor as yours is. They do however sell at PowerTec a 'peanut' tank as an option that mounts on the top of the crossbar . (Ron from PowerTec was Heald Executive Engineer...and resells many of the parts.)

I don't know about the blinkers, but they way yours is set up, it looks as if it could be licensed for the street.

Those big tecumsehs like to roll on down the road, so I'd look in to getting it registered for road use too.

Again, excellent find. Enjoy !!

Hello Diggers,

I don't know about the blinkers, but they way yours is set up, it looks as if it could be licensed for the street.

Those big tecumsehs like to roll on down the road, so I'd look in to getting it registered for road use too.

Again, excellent find. Enjoy !!
Nice find.

+1 on the blinkers, I have heard of the SB's being street legal in some states, so I'd leave them on, too, and see if your state would accept it as being street legal.

The only concern that I have is the TAV backing plate. I am not sure if the VT-10's came with that kind of backing plate, the VT-8's did to my knowledge. My VT-10 came with a separate frame, not a backing plate, for the jackshaft. The frame bolts onto the back of the engine plate and seems to me to be more robust for the 10 HP engine than the TAV backplate, IMHO. Chatten63 would know for sure though.

Paul

Hello picked up this super bronc with tecumseh 10hp electric start with snow ski from a guy that had it sitting in his shed for 8yrs. He bought it as a project its missing the intake,carb and cleaner also the primary clutch and belt so I'll be in need of those parts to get this thing running and moving. But just wondering if everything was original as the tires are carlisle made in usa no dry rott o nothing. Not sure if the muffler is original or not its a taylor muffler never seen anything like it. Any input would be great.
Wow that is some bike! Like a Sherman tank! Have fun with it!!

I have seen these blinkers on the trikes before,and one other bike. As for the transmission plate (t/c mount),it is correct for the bike also. These were used up to 1980~81 ,then came the disc brake on jackshaft.hope this helps you out

matt2

Hi diggers I have a 1979 Heald Trail Bronc VT-5 and I love it but I have always wanted one of their big bikes. Have fun with it that is a sweet start for a nice bike with all the bells and whistles. Hey digger chatten 63 knows all about these things he is a good guy to ask any question you have. Good luck with your new toy.:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies yes this thing is a tank :laugh: didn't really care for it at first but man after sitting on it and getting a feal for it its awesome :thumbsup: its like a 2 wheel monster truck:laugh: Can't wait to get it rollin:scooter: but not sure where to get the primary clutch or what other clutches where similiar to it on something different. Scoping out the area for a carb,intake,cleaner. I will have to get with chatten63 and ask him some questions. Not really sure on or going about checking to see if it can be road legal or not who would you have to talk to there's no speedometer so not sure if they would or not leagalize it:shrug:

jeep4me

Very nice bike, indeed!!:thumbsup:

I might be able to get you the intake, carb and air filter you need. Also, the primary clutch is a standard comet 1" bore driver clutch. Not sure on the belt size.

Where are you located in Michigan?

Located in bad axe mi and where would you look for the comet 1 primary clutch at.Is there a certain model to look for or are they all the same. I've seen the tav2 is that the same setup probably goin to try to keep it original but not sure what is all wrong with the engine haven't checked for spark or not seems to have good compression haven't had much time to look at it as I picked up more minibike frames also baja heat and a boonie:thumbsup: I like the big tire on the rear of the boonie.

Thanks yes its a big wheeled tank:laugh: and jeep4me is that the correct clutch for it from bmikarts:shrug: and do you have the intake assembly?? Thanks:thumbsup:

That is the right driver. Comet 30. If it is a standard backplate, Which I think it is, the standard TAV2 belt should work. Comet 203589.

O ok I'm not really sure :shrug: growing up with mini bikes ours never had any tav on them it was just clutch chain and sprocket on them. So this tav is all new to me to try to figure out how it all works. Thanks!

jeep4me

I'm still looking for the intake and carb assembly. It may take a few more days. Chances are good that I have it though. I'll keep you informed.

well chatten63 verified that the blinkers where correct for the bike and talked to ron kimball and he also said they had them as an option and still has the turn signal switch witch is goo because mine is broken in the inside and he also said yes it is a comet 30 series driver and the tires ar original for the bike also just wanted to pass on the info on it I plan on fixin it up and riding it someday.:thumbsup:

Looking at the pic youre driven unit on the torque converter doesnt look right. Like maybe the cam buttons got lost and it lost its preload. Definaly need to check into that before running it

Looking at the pic youre driven unit on the torque converter doesnt look right. Like maybe the cam buttons got lost and it lost its preload. Definaly need to check into that before running it
The cam buttons are there, but worn. Looks like someone took the bolt out to get the belt off and didn't reset the preload.

On edit. The bolt should not set preload. There should be a snap ring under that washer.