Picked Up Two 1970s Cat Chopper Minibikes, 1 Hustler & 1 Duster ? (not sure)

I picked up these two 1970s Cat Hustler and Duster (I think) minibike choppers at the Portland Swap Meet a few weeks ago (along with a Bonanza BC1300 mini bike). :thumbsup:

(that is my booth area at the swap meet, right after I had bought them and rolled them back)

I've been trying to positively ID the Cats ever since. The green one is in nicer shape and has the remnants of the Cat "Hustler" sticker on the front but the purple one, the "Duster" I think, has no stickers at all. Both seem have been restored once already, as there is some evidence of metal work, re-paint, and new seats. Also looks like the engines (Tecumseh H35s) might be a bit too new? not sure. . ...

I can't seem to find much on these funky chopper minis so any information anyone has is MUCH appreciated!

The thing that is really confusing me with ID is that both have this little mono-shock front fork suspension and all the Hustlers I see have dual front springs on the legs, instead?

The purple one isn't quite as nice as the green one but does have dual brakes-the scrub brake plus a slick disc brake on the sprocket!

Last edited:
Fking awesome find man ihave been trying to find a duster for a while
thanks so much! I feel very very lucky.... I've been looking for a chopper mini since the 1970s, when I was a kid and my parents wouldn't let me have one! (girls don't ride minibikes, blah blah blah... :eek:ut: )

Wrong seat on the Hustler but the rest of it is all there. That is a rare bike and the chainguard, front fender, tank and sissy bar are gold! Even the gas cap is original.

Funny the seat looks just like the one InjunTom had made for his Duster a few years ago...:detective:

nice score !! three bikes in one day :thumbsup:
yep! a minibike "hat trick"! I got 3 x Taco 22s a couple of months ago but my man got me those. Finding these 3 was all me! I saw them in the far corner of the parking lot where I hadn't quite gotten to yet at the swap meet, when I was coming in on the shuttle bus running late. My eyes about popped out of my head when in my early morning sleepy eyed daze, I see a row of minibikes! lol

Wrong seat on the Hustler but the rest of it is all there. That is a rare bike and the chainguard, front fender, tank and sissy bar are gold! Even the gas cap is original.

Funny the seat looks just like the one InjunTom had made for his Duster a few years ago...:detective:

Wow, that seat totally does look the same! They may not be original but the seats are super well done.-I love how they are all metal flake sparkley on the sides. I was looking through the rip on the purple one at the construction and someone knew what the heck they were doing with these seats, for sure.

I have been looking on feeBay at the Cat stuff, especially any chopper stuff, and maaaan prices are kinda crazy! Not sure what my approach will be with them yet, both need some TLC with the purple one just needing more. :thumbsup:

Itype2slo

yep! a minibike "hat trick"! I got 3 x Taco 22s a couple of months ago but my man got me those. Finding these 3 was all me! I saw them in the far corner of the parking lot where I hadn't quite gotten to yet at the swap meet, when I was coming in on the shuttle bus running late. My eyes about popped out of my head when in my early morning sleepy eyed daze, I see a row of minibikes! lol
Did you buy the whole row of minibikes? Nice scores you could take the chainguard of the green bike and taunt people with it. :laugh:

Did you buy the whole row of minibikes? Nice scores you could take the chainguard of the green bike and taunt people with it. :laugh:
Pretty much! lol couldn't get the one he had left, some asian import that was kinda trail 50 like. I also got a HS40 with lighting coil, some Briggs parts, and a bunch of grips and throttles. :thumbsup:

Saw one of those chainguards on feeBay last week-wOw, you aren't kidding! you would think they were platinum plated!! :eek:ut:

maybe someone choped the top of duster forks and put hustler tops on the green one??? im no cat expert but i think they had catalogs that you can buy random cat parts like the spring, and other replacement accessories because those things would break.....i dont know, they are some nicely pieced together cat choppers !!!!! ......

There is no doubt in my mind that your Hustler left the factory that way.....they did whatever they had to do to get bikes out the door, even if it meant deviating from the "Brochure Pics".

BUT.....there are some strange things on both bikes.