Picked Up Two 1970s Cat Chopper Minibikes, 1 Hustler & 1 Duster ? (not sure)

There is no doubt in my mind that your Hustler left the factory that way.....they did whatever they had to do to get bikes out the door, even if it meant deviating from the "Brochure Pics".

BUT.....there are some strange things on both bikes.
They made a Hustler with Duster parts. I can understand getting it out the door, but in this case, the Duster forks were painted green. So it was a planned deviation/production.

I know I haven't seen every version of Cat, not by a long shot, but I have never seen a Hustler done like that. Makes it a rare bike, if it's a factory job.

Chain guard is from a 3508, and the most plentiful version out there right now. I have a NOS one I'll be modifying into the long guard. Someday.

45t

Very nice finds! :thumbsup: So cool that you found them together in the same purchase. Both very sought after bikes.

The Duster looks to be showing a lot of white paint under the purple? I wonder if it was originally white like Markus/Derekmn's White Duster?

When I was sanding my duster down for paint, I found that the frame was blue and the handlebars were purple underneith, possible a Stars & Stripes/Duster chopper combo put together by factory or previous owner? Who knows?

Very nice finds! :thumbsup: So cool that you found them together in the same purchase. Both very sought after bikes.

The Duster looks to be showing a lot of white paint under the purple? I wonder if it was originally white like Markus/Derekmn's White Duster?

When I was sanding my duster down for paint, I found that the frame was blue and the handlebars were purple underneith, possible a Stars & Stripes/Duster chopper combo put together by factory or previous owner? Who knows?

Very Sought after indeed. He won't sell it to me.

thanks! yeah, I was totally stunned to find both of them plus the Bonanza all with the same seller (plus an engine and other mini parts). I know I really lucked out, still in a daze over it! :thumbsup:

I checked out the white paint and can't tell if it is paint or maybe primer? kinda looks chalky.... still not sure if maybe one or both have been repainted at some point? if they were, it was a long time ago and they used stock colors... :shrug:

Here are some closeups of the chain-guard on the Hustler I took to help out a fellow Duster owner with his resto-putting them here in case someone else needs them?

Keep in mind that this is the "medium length" chainguard instead of the correct "long length" version so I am sure the rear extension bracket isn't stock. The front one sure looks original though?

There is the standard Cat clutch guard, The short extended one used on the R3508 and the one that is used on your Hustler, The medium length extended one is what was used on the Duster and Hustler and finally the long version was used on the Pennys MX Duster, Dominator and the R4001.

There is the standard Cat clutch guard, The short extended one used on the R3508 and the one that is used on your Hustler, The medium length extended one is what was used on the Duster and Hustler and finally the long version was used on the Pennys MX Duster, Dominator and the R4001.
thanks for elaborating and clarifying! :bowdown: quick question, is anyone currently re-popping the Cat sticker that is supposed to be on this chain-guard?