Pics from Mecum Auction Kissimmee Fla

I've been glued to the TV watching this. The Barris Bros. built 51' Merc, "The Hirohada" sold for $1.95 Million. Not bad considering the Seller found it in disrepair in ed car lot and paid $500 in 1959.
Saw this car in person in 1999. The one car that I never had hopes of ever seeing in my lifetime. I have been a huge fan of this car since I was 12 or 13. If money was no object, it would have brought more. I would have just stood there with my hand up until it was over.

When the car was bought off the car lot in 1959 it was just another old car. A daily driver. And $500 was a heard of money for an old used car in disrepair. Nothing special, especially if the Barris badges had been lifted by some young man. He drove the car for a while until it broke down and just got squirreled away. I remember when it was announced as having been found and one of the magazines did an "as found" article on it. The magazine was instrumental in putting all the right people together to get the car back to its former glory. If I remember the story correctly it was all donated time and materials.

As the car came across the block I will have to give Larry, Curly and Moe, who can't stop chattering about every little thing, credit for giving Sam Barris credit for his part in the car. Most people just associate George with the car and you almost never hear George acknowledge his brother Sam. Sam had already built his personal 48 Merc custom when this car was brought in for similar treatment because of the 48. George was the promoter and Sam was the stylist.

Sam Barris' 1949 Mercury - Kustomrama

Bob Hirohata's 1951 Mercury - Kustomrama

Thanks for sharing.
I'll take the GT350, please.
I was surprised by the value of the Yellowstone tour bus at ~$1M.

The Yellowstone tour bus was amazing to see and even more amazing that it survived the harsh mountain winters. I would love to have seen what it looked like when it was heading to its restoration. Never would have thought it would bring that much money.

Thanks for sharing Doug. When I got to the bottom of the first page I thought there was no way I'd look through them all, but I did and WOW. Definitely some quality stuff.
Being a Wagon and Nailhead fan, (still have a couple of each-grin) I'd take TV Tommy's four engine, four wheel drive dragster for a spin;)

Thanks for sharing Doug. When I got to the bottom of the first page I thought there was no way I'd look through them all, but I did and WOW. Definitely some quality stuff.
Being a Wagon and Nailhead fan, (still have a couple of each-grin) I'd take TV Tommy's four engine, four wheel drive dragster for a spin;)
I have always liked a long roof. Have had a few in my time. Never had a Nailhead but they are the most unique looking engine in a Hot Rod.

I got to see TV Tommy's wagon run at the Blaney Dragstrip in Elgin, South Carolina somewhere around 78 or 79. It was impressive to watch it light all the tires the full length of the 1/4 mile. I even got to see Don Garlits do a fire burnout at Blaney the last year before they were outlawed by the NHRA. Sadly, it's a neighborhood now. Was a great dragstrip back in the day.