Piston coatings

Visited the cart racing shop that is going to bore my 71 HS40 block once my ARC rod shows up. He showed me some
pistons he just got back from coating. A place called SWAIN technologies. They are literally 10 minutes from my house.
Check them out on the net if you have not heard of them.
Regards,
Joe51

delray

joe i have done some piston coating with cerakote product and it works well and i'm sure your product also. use it on my race motors and at the end of the season there virtually no carbon on the piston. big thing it helps reflect the heat. also do the sides with a dry lube coating. that works only really for startup/ short time. right now, i got a small bore 5hp piston coated ready to go in.
87s.jpg

I’m running a newer piston…40045 in my .010 motor now thst has a factory coating on it like that…haven’t tested it hard yet…

I've also done the skirts with the original Dow Molycoat stuff for years. My problem is the cost of this stuff is stupid expensive but I was able to get it at my old job. I have found nothing that can thin it and the thinner is Close to $500 a gallon. I've tried MEK, toluene, Acetone, laquer thinner, reducer and nothing touches it. I have to buy the cheap ebay airbrushes to do them then throw the airbrush away.

Attachments

Minimichael

So the consensus then is the Cerakote is a good idea on at least the piston face, huh? I'm thinking of trying this on a 2hp Briggs...

Any application tips? How about the valves and exhaust port, too? Does Cerakote have the same thinning reqs as the Dow moly?

How about the head...? Or is all this a lot of overkill for these itty-bitty motors?

Anybody know? I haven't come across other postings about coatings...