Plastic fins/ magnet issue

Hey yous,

I opened up an HS40 last night to say hey to the inside for the first time since picking it up and I found:

1) Two broke off fins of the plastic variety
2) One of the magnets is not glued but simply sticking on with MAGNETIC FORCE!

Should I track down a new plastic fin plate or is two fins not much to get my frilly undergarments all sweaty over?

And I would like to know what kind of glue to use to get that wayward magnet in its place. Oh, and what about spacing on the magnet? Should it be a particular distance apart from the well behaved one?

Or should I just get a new friggin flywheel?

I thank you for your time.

markus

Jb weld is what I have used which was suggested from other members on the site. The magnet of course needs to be in the spot it came from and its been a couple of years since I did it but It may have to be set a certain way for polarity :shrug: Last one I did was a lighted wheel from a Roadster2 though and it had magnets all the way around so may have been something to do with that.

I've seen just the plastic fins for sale for those before.

anymore on those steel ones I tap on the magnets and reglue them if they come loose when I pull the wheel to do the points, figure the glue is around 30 years old +or- a few.

capguncowboy

I had to reattach the magnets in my HS40 flywheel back in June. I used quick-set epoxy and a couple of clamps.

I'm not sure if it mattered or not, but I made sure they were back on in the exact orientation that they came off.

Once I figured that out, I marked the positions and orientation on both the magnets. Then I sanded the old glue off of both the magnets and the inside of the flywheel. Once it was all cleared, I put a small amount of quick-set epoxy on each magnet and set it in place. I used clamps to make sure they were as tight as possible and wiped away excess epoxy. I don't know that it would be enough to matter, but those flywheels are very balanced, and any excess weight seems like it would throw the balance off.

After about an hour, they had set up and were as good as new.

If you can't locate the exact spot of the previous home of the wild magnet, I would suggest getting a measurement and position from someone that has a properly working HS40 on hand. The timing on those motors is so exact, that being off by an 1/8" or more would most likely cause problems.

As far as the fins go, I don't think it will be a problem as long as it's just a couple

I had to reattach the magnets in my HS40 flywheel back in June. I used quick-set epoxy and a couple of clamps.

I'm not sure if it mattered or not, but I made sure they were back on in the exact orientation that they came off.

Once I figured that out, I marked the positions and orientation on both the magnets. Then I sanded the old glue off of both the magnets and the inside of the flywheel. Once it was all cleared, I put a small amount of quick-set epoxy on each magnet and set it in place. I used clamps to make sure they were as tight as possible and wiped away excess epoxy. I don't know that it would be enough to matter, but those flywheels are very balanced, and any excess weight seems like it would throw the balance off.

After about an hour, they had set up and were as good as new.

If you can't locate the exact spot of the previous home of the wild magnet, I would suggest getting a measurement and position from someone that has a properly working HS40 on hand. The timing on those motors is so exact, that being off by an 1/8" or more would most likely cause problems.

As far as the fins go, I don't think it will be a problem as long as it's just a couple

Ok thanks both of yous