Plastic tank Leaching?

I had painted a black plastic Tecumseh tank white and about three weeks after it was filled with gas it started to bubble in spots as if the fumes came through the sides. :doah: Anyone seen that before? :censure:

at work the same thing happened only we just spray painted a couple tanks. when i popped one of the bigger bubbles it was full of gas. i think it leached threw the paint from the out side and pooled on the plastic under the paint.

oldsledz

I painted one in April and it is still good.

I don't remember what kind of paint I used but it was a spray can.

Mine was a red plastic tank.

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

This is really common with plastic fuel tanks. It's a bigger problem with dirtbikes because they usually have graphics stuck on them and the fuel vapors often cause them to peel. The aftermarket "natural" colored poly tanks also yellow over time. The one on my XR600 sure did.

Thanks, I did a good prep and tried "fusion" paint but I swear its leaching and no gas has ever been spilled on it. The real bummer is it's on my restored Atlas. :doah: I was going to try some of my gun kote because I know it works great on plastic and Gas don't faze it BUT it's $$$ by the OZ! Polane might be good too.

Hey Gote....This may or not work....I've never tried it....but I'll run it by you anyway. Motorcycle shops sell a product called Creme (sp.) that's used to seal the inside of cycle gas tanks....Don't know if it works on plastic....you just slosh it around the inside of the tank....let it dry....and voila the tank is sealed....if it works on plastic it should keep gas from leaking through the pores in the plastic....let us know how it works if you try it....Ogy....PS...a lot of radiator shops also have an industrial sealer that they use....may be worth a try.

Hey Gote....This may or not work....I've never tried it....but I'll run it by you anyway. Motorcycle shops sell a product called Creme (sp.) that's used to seal the inside of cycle gas tanks....Don't know if it works on plastic....you just slosh it around the inside of the tank....let it dry....and voila the tank is sealed....if it works on plastic it should keep gas from leaking through the pores in the plastic....let us know how it works if you try it....Ogy....PS...a lot of radiator shops also have an industrial sealer that they use....may be worth a try.
Thanks Ogy but I'll just strip it off and find a white or steel tank. Lesson learned. :thumbsup: