Please help with model#

Doc1976

I am trying to locate some parts for a custom build I'm working on and I need the model number of a 3.5hp briggs IC with the float bowl carb and tank mounted on top of the motor so I could pull up the parts diagram. Thanks in advance.

Doc1976

And as a part 2 of my question, I assume the carb and intake of this style is different in the 3.5 and 5 horse motors? Or are they the same part numbers? Can anyone confirm?

Doc1976

This might help. Briggs and Stratton Engine Model Number and Serial Number Locations (jackssmallengines.com)

If by, "I assume the carb and intake of this style is different in the 3.5 and 5 horse motors?", you are referring to the iconic flat head engines, then yes, they are vastly different.
Yes, I'm asking about flatheads. I'm just trying to source some parts for a custom build. I need a model number example for an IC 3.5 hp with the float bowl carb and top mounted fuel tank so I can find part numbers for the carb and intake.

My bad. I understood you to be asking how to find the model number, on an engine you have. Since you are also talking flat heads, are you trying to upgrade the carb on a flathead engine you already have? If that's the case, you'll be better off not trying to reinvent the wheel. Either piece together a package or buy a kit adapting a Mikuni/clone to the flatty. Or is there some reason this tested setup does not appeal to, or meet your needs?

Doc1976

My bad. I understood you to be asking how to find the model number, on an engine you have. Since you are also talking flat heads, are you trying to upgrade the carb on a flathead engine you already have? If that's the case, you'll be better off not trying to reinvent the wheel. Either piece together a package or buy a kit adapting a Mikuni/clone to the flatty. Or is there some reason this tested setup does not appeal to, or meet your needs?
Well the custom intake I'm running is giving me a little trouble. I'm currently using a tecumseh style carb with custom built intake manifold. Granted I'm using a cheap aftermarket carb, but I've got it tuned to run fairly well. The real issue is that (1) it kinda seems to fall in and out of tune a little bit and (2) it has a stumble off idle. I'm attributing the tune issue with it being a cheap carb. The stumble goes away almost completely if I really ease into the throttle. I'm attributing that to the extremely short throttle turn to get WOT due to the linkage setup. Sooooooo, im considering switching to the factory briggs carb and intake manifold from the afore mentioned engine. I don't want to use a pulsajet tank mounted setup. I'll post a photo that illustrates my current setup which is the look I want for this build.

markus

691922 is the intake # I think they were used on 093000 series engines, They fit the wide pattern 5hp engines as well. The 475 series had drop intake like a Tecumseh small frame H on it....but in the wide bolt pattern at the block, those were part number #790170 I dont think the briggs carbs have any adjustability to them.

Doc1976

691922 is the intake # I think they were used on 093000 series engines, They fit the wide pattern 5hp engines as well. The 475 series had drop intake like a Tecumseh small frame H on it....but in the wide bolt pattern at the block, those were part number #790170 I dont think the briggs carbs have any adjustability to them.
Yes, the 691922 looks to be correct, thank you. I may have a 5 horse in the shed that has one on it, I will look to see of it fits.

Well the custom intake I'm running is giving me a little trouble. I'm currently using a tecumseh style carb with custom built intake manifold. Granted I'm using a cheap aftermarket carb, but I've got it tuned to run fairly well. The real issue is that (1) it kinda seems to fall in and out of tune a little bit and (2) it has a stumble off idle. I'm attributing the tune issue with it being a cheap carb. The stumble goes away almost completely if I really ease into the throttle. I'm attributing that to the extremely short throttle turn to get WOT due to the linkage setup. Sooooooo, im considering switching to the factory briggs carb and intake manifold from the afore mentioned engine. I don't want to use a pulsajet tank mounted setup. I'll post a photo that illustrates my current setup which is the look I want for this build.

Yeah, that's where I thought you were going. I've seen that setup before. I wouldn't want a pulsa-jet setup on that ride either. The problem I see, even with the newer style carb, it's still a carb designed for a lawnmower. It's not really meant to have fluctuating throttle settings. I would think you could still use your intake, with this carb and if you went with the PV-22 your carb size would be just about ideal, for your engine. 1643842588181.png

1643842651899.png

these are Kenneth Boughton's pics. He has laid out a complete set of instructions, on installing this carb.

Doc1976

Yeah, that's where I thought you were going. I've seen that setup before. I wouldn't want a pulsa-jet setup on that ride either. The problem I see, even with the newer style carb, it's still a carb designed for a lawnmower. It's not really meant to have fluctuating throttle settings. I would think you could still use your intake, with this carb and if you went with the PV-22 your carb size would be just about ideal, for your engine. View attachment 286596

View attachment 286597

these are Kenneth Boughton's pics. He has laid out a complete set of instructions, on installing this carb.
Thanks for this. I've actually got it running pretty good. But as my builds get more advanced I want to be able to have more options. I did a quick internet search for the PV-22 and didn't come up with anything. A lot of PZ results what is the difference? This is sort of uncharted territory for me so please excuse the lack of knowledge with these setups.

Doc1976