Poor running clone out of the box

:thumbdown:

I'm new to the site and have enjoyed reading all the great advice. I just completed my second 6.5 clone conversion (with a lot of help from all of your suggestions and photos) of an otherwise stock Doodlebug. When I fired up the engine for the first time I noticed that it just didn't run as well as the engine I used on my first conversion. It's rougher running, especially at idle and seems to die more easily. It also has a bit backfire pop when decelerating from higher speeds. Can the carb on these things be adjusted? I noticed what I thought was a black mixture adjustment screw on the backside of the carb. Has anyone had this problem and if so had any luck with adjusting the carb?

Rough Idling problem solved

Well, after receiving no suggestions I decided to dig into this on my own. I found that the screw I was referring to was not a mixture screw (I assume these engines don't have one and are factory set) but an idle speed screw. I increased the idle speed and this helped tremendously. I also cleaned out the float bowl. There was a small amount of debris. I don't know if this made a difference but it can't hurt. It still doen't run quite as well as the first clone conversion but these engines are probably not built to quite as tight a specification as the real thing. That's OK though, my son and I had a great time messing with these things. I'd like to lower the fenders and accent with some pinstripes, etc., but that's for another day.

Jleon

I just found an idle mixture screw on my lifan 6.5. It's hidden behind a black rectangular "cap". I broke mine trying to remove the cap from an angle. The shaft appears to be thinner than un-cooked spaghetti. Now I'm screwed!

I'm sorry to hear that. I kind of thought that's what that was. I was tempted to mess with it but decided not to. Are you able to put it back the way it was?

you mostly likely will have to drill out your jets it would be more helpful if you would describe what it is doing better other than just running rough