powdercoating briggs tanks

markus

I've seen it mentioned that tanks like the rupp dont fair too well at the seam when they get in the oven to bake, do the briggs tanks hold up or will the seam let loose on those as well?

Itype2slo

That's a hard call. With the rupp tanks they used solder at the seams & mount bracket. The Briggs tanks seem thin always had pinhole leaks when I did muriatic treat I had to red koto. I would think if tank survived blasting it could be powder coated. Good luck.:thumbsup:

I've always wondered why any of it melts.

Solder (60/40) melts at around 700F, pure lead melts at over 600F, and powder coat is baked between 400 and 500F. Are those who experience this problem baking powder a bit hot?

The Briggs tanks are crimped, so should theoretically reseal once cooled. (and quality sealant will fix what doesn't)

The solder in my rupp tank started dripping at about 10 min at 400 degrees and my speedway petcock fell off right at the end of 10 min but I've had other tank that had no problem with solder melting. I guess you can test it on an old toaster oven at 400 for 10 min and see if it starts to melt before getting it powder coated.

capguncowboy

Lead melts at 621.5°F

Not sure why it runs out of the tanks when you bake them, but it does.

I say just powder it, then line the tank with something afterwards

Last edited:
i have powder coated 2 tank that are briggs and they look greathttp://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/asset.php?fid=53997&uid=26303&d=1368490393

markus

i have powder coated 2 tank that are briggs and they look greathttp://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/asset.php?fid=53997&uid=26303&d=1368490393
tank looks good, did you have to coat the inside after having it done? I think I will soak out a couple tanks this week, I am guessing the powdercoater we are trying out on a frame will have it done by next weekend and I was thinking about bringing a bunch of small parts down and get his thoughts on it or just leave one that can be sacrificed if its a fail

Markus he did not coat the inside of the tanks and they don't leak . But let me say this these were brand new tanks , he bought two NOS raptors . They had only had gas in them once or twice . Don't know if this matters or not . But these tanks look great and seem to be holding up well .