Powell is finished. Time to ride

Just finished the Powell and took it out for a ride around the property. What a blast!
Now its time to finish the grand kids mini bikes and go kart so that we can do some mini bike barrel racing in the wife's horse arena.

Sam your Powell looks good .:thumbsup:. how about a ride video ? What is that behind the Powell 32 ? Real steel body car ?

31 Ford real steel body on a 31 Chevy chassis all ford drivetrain. Someone built along time ago. Its my parts chasing vehicle for my shop along with my 53 f100.

Thanks!

Yea I've wanted a Powell since I was 8 yrs old. I'm 55 now so I figured the sooner I got it built the longer I'd have it. Better late than never.

Last edited:
I'm with ya on that Sam, I use to look at the winter (Christmas) Sears catalog ...mini bikes and go karts.....always wanted but never got, till now and I'm 57 ..:anon.sml:. now I 've got a few mini's.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oh yea,
I forgot about the Sears, Monkeywards and JC Penny catalogs. I use to do the same thing. Mom would take us shopping at those stores and I would make a beeline to the mini bikes. I can still remember the smell of the rubber tires while I was sitting on those mini bikes just dreaming of owning one. Nice to see that I wasn't the only one doing that back then.

It looks great !!!

In the last picture from your original thread, the picture without the seat, it looks like you replaced the rear brake shoe lining. If you did, may I ask where you found replacement lining that fit?

You can order brake lining from McMaster Carr or do like I did and search brake lining on Ebay and order what you need. Then I used some two part panel adhesive from Napa that I had lying around to glue it on. Someone on this site said that they had good luck using JB Weld to glue the new liner on also.

Last edited:
You can order brake lining from McMaster Carr or do like I did and search brake lining on Ebay and order what you need. Then I used some two part panel adhesive from Napa that I had lying around to glue it on. Someone on this site said that they had good luck using JB Weld to glue the new liner on also.
Thanks for the info !!!

Mine seems to be a super hard type of shoe. Almost like a metal to metal type drum brake, if you know what I mean. I'm going to have to research this because mine looks a little scored but hardly worn. But then I'm not sure. But now I know where to find it. Thanks !!

Mine was the same way when I got it but there was still just a little bit of the edge of the liner left on the metal band, Make sure yours isn't worn completely away and that's why it looks metal to metal. Plus it will stop better with a friction liner glued to it. Looking forward to seeing your Powell when its finished.
Have a great week!
Sam