Powell restorations 4 at a time

MiniBike Paul

Hey paul did they just plate right over the bearings in the front end since they are welded in? I've often wondered about this. What did the forks cost to plate also?
BAB showed me the set he had chromed, I asked him the same bearing question and he assured me it works, which the chrome shop, Astro plating in Van Nuys, confirmed.

I'm paying $200 each and he is doing my throttles as well, no charge! I got one other quote and it was almost double. In the past I have gotten "show chrome" from Sherm's in Sacramento and this looks plenty good even compared to that!

Powell Mini Bike

Hey Paul,
Thanks for posting these Photo's!
I bought a Powell about five months ago - not sure what year it is...
Paid $140.00 for it on craigsList. Interesting how I paid the same price that Powell Ad from the 60's.
I really don't want to Re-chrome the front end - Due to the cost involved.
Will be replacing the engine with a built clone. Getting ready to disassemble and beadblast then, paint. Do you have any recommendations?

mikeminibike

MiniBike Paul

Another Giant Step for Mankind

Well, maybe that is an exaggeration . . . . .

But, Today I picked up the 3rd front end, and the third throttle, at the plating shop!! What a mind blower -

It is easy to see that these were pretty rough pot metal castings; but the front ends are another story -

Oh oh, what's that lurking in the lower right corner???

Another pleasant surprise arrived today - the metal chain cover I won on e-bay, and it is better than I expected!!

All in all, a decent Powell day!!

If anybody has a good foil Powell sticker, photograph it straight on, send me the photos and exact measurments, and I will have some made . . . . and give you some free!! Bab, I hope that is you!

Paul good talking to you today, one thing I have to say clean that shop its a mess... :smile: I looked at the pics in the thread if you want send me one of those parts you had a concern about I will give it a whirl at what I think it would have been new..

MiniBike Paul

Hard to believe I just got around to it but a few weeks ago I finally got a small "sand" blaster to clean up parts.

I'm almost embarrased to admit it was only $109. and not at Harbor Junk! I through together the cart and I bought some #8 glass bead.

So, I test blasted the aluminium exhaust fins and the pipe and the very rusty muffler. I was telling Jeff today that the results don't look right, like not real; wonder if these pictures will show what i mean . . . . . . .

Sure want to hear what Jeff and anyone else with experience has to offer up!

Soda works well with aluminum. Eastwood has great deals on soda blasters right now. I know what you're talking about with the finish. I did tge same thing to some Odyssey parts once and ended up having to spray them with "Alumi-Finish" or whatever to get them looking better. Do you think you're going to hold off until you figure it out?

MiniBike Paul

maybe walnut chips? those work good when you want to keep the original finish.
Tyler, for aluminum or metal?? Where do you buy them?? Are they sized??

Casey; HELL YES I am not going further till i find the right way to make them look natural!!

Also, I would sure like to find someone who has a Powell foil sticker good enough to photograph, so we can make up some repros. Please contact me if you have one!!

Last edited:
Paul the muffler part on the engine is a tecumseh part that was painted at the factory engine color the older engines the mufflers were painted and did not have any plating, thats why they all are rusty.. the Powell part best I can tell the ring was as cast and the tube " I think " was just mill finish, I have a box of mufflers Motra gave me last week plated and non I will see if I have any that are in better shape than yours, The Powell part can be restored with minimal effort but the part of the tube that has not been blasted I would like to see cleaned with just some brasso and 000 steel wool to see if there is any plating on it.

In the end I cleared the steering wheel heavy and moved on. It was durable and that is what I wanted on the "rider" at the time. Turned out nice, but as you can see it does not really come off as aluminum.
Lesson learned.

Last edited: