Predator 212 Governor removal now will not start

Hi I just removed my governor on my 212 with the basic stage 1 upgrade kit. I removed the low oil sensor, got the washer behind the governor, lined the dots on the cam up, did all the wiring correctly and checked the plug. The motor would not start so I took off the OHV cover and the engine cover to get to the cam. It turned out that the 2 things next to the cam were not aligned both the push rod. Im not good at explaining this but I put it back the way it should be and aligned the push rods on the 2 arms under the OHV. then it worked fine and fired up. Today I went to start it and it sounded normal but after a few pulls it did not make the normal noise out of the exhaust when I usually pull it. It feels like it has lower compression and backfires every now and then with huge flame. The backfire is not loud either. It was doing all of these things the first time when I didn't put the motor back together correctly. I don't know what to do. I will just put the push rods and things at the end of the push rods by the cam back together but im afraid it will just make this mistake again and "pop out of place". how can I fix this? Also I have not ridden it after the governor removal because I am waiting on a clutch.

the push rods were out of place and not placed on the rockers the first time and I put them in place, I guess they fell out of place again. The push rods them selves are not bent but my question is how do I fix this so they wont fall out or pop out of place?

You are probably going to have to set or at least check the valve lash..this is done with the rocker arms under the OHV as you call it or the valve cover.

Rocker arms

Last edited:
My engine is the hemi head. So I will look up how to do this lash thing, is it easy to do? also will I need to buy new vaulve springs or anything like that? thanks for the help by the way!

also what are those things next to the cam in the engine that conncet to the pushrod called? why does the pushrod fall out of place of the rocker when I never even touched the bolts for the rocker arms? sorry for the questions I just wanna fix my engine. I don't know what I did wrong in the first place to even mess this vaulve thing up I just removed te gov n low oil sensor

Twid

I don't even understand what vaulve lash is. if its not this lash then what else is it im getting pissed
The lash is the wiggle room between the velve stem and the rocker.

also what are those things next to the cam in the engine that conncet to the pushrod called? why does the pushrod fall out of place of the rocker when I never even touched the bolts for the rocker arms?
They are called Lifters. If you removed the cam the lifters will move and the push rods will fallow as well.

Last edited:
ok I am going to check my vaulve lash today. If it is too uch wiggle room would that what is aking the not fire at the right time and giving the engine less compression?

Hi I just removed my governor on my 212 with the basic stage 1 upgrade kit. I removed the low oil sensor, got the washer behind the governor, lined the dots on the cam up, did all the wiring correctly and checked the plug. The motor would not start so I took off the OHV cover and the engine cover to get to the cam. It turned out that the 2 things next to the cam were not aligned both the push rod. Im not good at explaining this but I put it back the way it should be and aligned the push rods on the 2 arms under the OHV. then it worked fine and fired up. Today I went to start it and it sounded normal but after a few pulls it did not make the normal noise out of the exhaust when I usually pull it. It feels like it has lower compression and backfires every now and then with huge flame. The backfire is not loud either. It was doing all of these things the first time when I didn't put the motor back together correctly. I don't know what to do. I will just put the push rods and things at the end of the push rods by the cam back together but im afraid it will just make this mistake again and "pop out of place". how can I fix this? Also I have not ridden it after the governor removal because I am waiting on a clutch.
What clutch did you buy?