Predator 212 hemi Mini bike build

Got some more done this week on the mini. Got the exhaust welded up with a heat shield and also finished the gas tank image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I was able to do a test ride today twice for about 5 min each ........ Good news and bad. BAD- I need a fuel pump, fuel is not getting to carb correctly and most likely will need to change the red spring out for a yellow one on the torque converter, has a lot of torque , but speed wasn't there yet.
Good- I finally got to do a test ride.

Question for the forum......... What would cause me to snap the master link in my chain? I Had it happen last night and again a lil bit ago.
Chain to loose? To tight? Not really sure. Had maybe 3/4" slack in the chain......... What does everyone think?

I used one to break the chain apart to get my length, So how would I hook the chain back up without a master link?

The chain breaker I used pretty much destroyed the link and the pin, Maybe it's a crap chain breaker, bought it from Tractor Supply

Last edited:
i personally dont like to use master links.
Though it IS a bit more trouble taking off the chain but if you have a chain breaker you should be fine. Worth it too.

I have a #40 chain, so I'm going to have to buy the bigger version, it's a shame that it's double the price of the #35 chain breaker from OldMiniBikes

image.jpeg
My TAV only came with this one washer/spacer. I put it against the bearing (plate side). From what I've been looking at. The chain is hitting the TAV plate and the driven pulley, also I noticed that the master link is quite a bit larger than the rest of the links. Could me only having 1 washer between the plate and driven pulley be the reason the chain broke?

Last edited:
Just from the pic I would say you have way too much slack in that chain ... and if you don't have the master link retainer clip with the rounded part in the rotational direction they can pop off ... I am with ond .. I try not to run master links at all if I don't have to

Thanks for the reply everyone, I did take everything back apart yesterday and tightened the slack in the chain to about a 1/2" , re-aligned the sprockets. I had some 1/8" washers made today at the shop and put one on both sides of the 10 tooth sprocket and I did a test ride again today, with a successful ride, I didn't have any mishaps with the chain breaking or smacking the plate and driven pulley.

I was able to do 2 speed trial runs yesterday. 1st pass was 40MPH and 2nd pass was 43.3MPH....... Gotta have more speed.... Will changing the red driven spring to the yellow one give me more speed? And what about changing the springs in the drive? I've seen several different ones for different engagement ranges, but will this change the speed? Also haven't had a problem so far with the chain, adding the spacers helped out.

image.png

I used one to break the chain apart to get my length, So how would I hook the chain back up without a master link?

The chain breaker I used pretty much destroyed the link and the pin, Maybe it's a crap chain breaker, bought it from Tractor Supply
Had the same issue. I just bought a new breaker, one of those v shape claw looking things and I think i was better off with a grinder and a pin/hammer. I figured the "tool" would be a good roadside option. I think I'll stick a hand file and a pin/hammer in my backpack instead and be happier.

Good chain breaker does not mess up the links or the pins...If its a good one. This is what I use on mini's and racing karts.

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/-35-Chain-Breaker.html
Then order one of these. Nice, looks more user friendly and simple too the point design compared to the claw contraption.

Apologies for thread jacking, just searching and learning. Thanks!

Had the same issue. I just bought a new breaker, one of those v shape claw looking things and I think i was better off with a grinder and a pin/hammer. I figured the "tool" would be a good roadside option. I think I'll stick a hand file and a pin/hammer in my backpack instead and be happier.

Then order one of these. Nice, looks more user friendly and simple too the point design compared to the claw contraption.

Apologies for thread jacking, just searching and learning. Thanks!
All good Mini-fever, I agree good for a possible emergency, but crap of a chain breaker in all other aspects. The chain breaker posted to the link is nice, and looks more user friendly but I have a #40 chain so that one wouldn't work for me. I did end up getting one for cheaper from another dealer but haven't used it yet. Same basic design but for the #40 size chain.