Predator 212 starting problems

Just because no one has mentioned it, is the engine oil up the the normal level? If not, it will not run if the oil switch is still present and oil is low.

Update....got her to roar not sure which fixed the problem but was running lean, I screwed the air mixture all the way in & backed it out 1 full turn.... 0.22 pilot & a .38 main jet ...Now motor starts in 1 or 2 pulls . Now just to fine tune & break it in!

Actually it would have better flow over bolting the carb directly to the head. The carb's outlet is a round hole and the head's intake port is a D-shape. The insulator provides a smoother transition from this round hole to the D-shape, therefore reducing turbulence and increasing flow capability.

The main reason for using the insulator in this case is to allow the bowl vent a passage to atmosphere. If you look at the face of the OUTLET on your carb, there is a tiny hole at the 10:00 position. This hole allows air to enter and escape the fuel bowl as it fills and emptys. Without this vent, an air bubble would get trapped in the bowl that would keep the float from rising and shutting off fuel flow.

If you look at the carburator side of the insulator, there is a little snail-like passage that goes around the intake port. This passage, along with the matching passage in the carburator face itself, and the little extra hole in the gasket between the carb and insulator, allow the bowl to vent.

Now your problem isn't that this vent is blocked because the snail passage in the face of the carb is sufficient enough to provide the venting. Your problem is that this vent is now not only open to atmosphere (like it should be), but that it is also open to intake vacuum. What is happening is that the intake port and the snail passage on the face of the carb are overlapping, causing this "short circuit." When you try to start the engine, the engine is drawing air through the snail passage instead of through the idle circuit, therefore it is not getting fuel hence the reason it starts on ether. Once it gets running on ether, it still has the intake leak through the snail passage but now it is sucking on that bowl vent. The vacuum on that vent is sucking massive amounts of fuel into the engine, fouling the spark plug and killing the engine in that two seconds that it ran.

The solution is to dig that insulator out of the garbage and reinstall it.

I also encourage you to look at these parts for yourself and figure out how they work. Maybe even disassemble an old carb and spend a day shooting carb cleaner through all the holes to see where they go. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES IF YOU USE CARB CLEANER!!!o_O
Actually it would have better flow over bolting the carb directly to the head. The carb's outlet is a round hole and the head's intake port is a D-shape. The insulator provides a smoother transition from this round hole to the D-shape, therefore reducing turbulence and increasing flow capability.

The main reason for using the insulator in this case is to allow the bowl vent a passage to atmosphere. If you look at the face of the OUTLET on your carb, there is a tiny hole at the 10:00 position. This hole allows air to enter and escape the fuel bowl as it fills and emptys. Without this vent, an air bubble would get trapped in the bowl that would keep the float from rising and shutting off fuel flow.

If you look at the carburator side of the insulator, there is a little snail-like passage that goes around the intake port. This passage, along with the matching passage in the carburator face itself, and the little extra hole in the gasket between the carb and insulator, allow the bowl to vent.

Now your problem isn't that this vent is blocked because the snail passage in the face of the carb is sufficient enough to provide the venting. Your problem is that this vent is now not only open to atmosphere (like it should be), but that it is also open to intake vacuum. What is happening is that the intake port and the snail passage on the face of the carb are overlapping, causing this "short circuit." When you try to start the engine, the engine is drawing air through the snail passage instead of through the idle circuit, therefore it is not getting fuel hence the reason it starts on ether. Once it gets running on ether, it still has the intake leak through the snail passage but now it is sucking on that bowl vent. The vacuum on that vent is sucking massive amounts of fuel into the engine, fouling the spark plug and killing the engine in that two seconds that it ran.

I also encourage you to look at these parts for yourself and figure out how they work. Maybe even disassemble an old carb and spend a day shooting carb cleaner through all the holes to see where they go. WEAR SAFETY GLASSES IF YOU USE CARB CLEANER!!!o_O
Wasnt the adapter...wasnt getting enough fuel...with combination of header & open air filter making the engine breath & exhale easier leaned out way out...I just though I had enough fuel cause the bowl was full

Appreciate ya taking the time to give some advice..

Remember, that mixture screw doesn't control fuel in any way. It ONLY controls air. It is basically a controlled intake leak.

Also, you said the spark plug was fouled?

Is there anything else you did besides adjust the air bleed screw (that's its technical term)?

View attachment 239282
Remember, that mixture screw doesn't control fuel in any way. It ONLY controls air. It is basically a controlled intake leak.

Also, you said the spark plug was fouled?

Is there anything else you did besides adjust the air bleed screw (that's its technical term)?
All I did was change main jet to 38 ....& made damn sure I was getting fuel to carb....I pulled the line from pump straight to carb an filled bowl then put line back to pump so it would pulse......pulled it with full choke...popped then I opened choke & fired right up an began to idle....I started to adjust the Air bleed screw motor started to stumble so I turned it back until it ran smooth.........then wife started to yell so that's the end of that