Predator 212 vs Honda 110 dirt bike

The CVT only gives lower gearing compared to having no CVT and if it is a Series 30 or equivalent then it has 10% overdrive, still not the same as Honda gearset.
No, it's not 'the same' as a Honda gearset, but what are you saying? A tav 2 belt drive has a variable range of gear ratios from about 3:1 to direct drive or 10% overdriven depending on driver pulley size. That is a wider range than a lifan 125 4 speed, or a honda 3 speed. While some power gets lost as heat, making it less efficient, it requires no input from the operator beyond throttle input, and is tunable! Plus, when it is behind the power and torque advantage of the 212, it really negates any inefficiencies of belt slip. Since I have several good examples of both belt driven bikes, and transmission equipped bikes, I can attest that the only mini (z50/crf 50 style frame) that can run with my predator belt drive bikes are 125 lifan powered with big cam and big valve heads. The predator has way more capability to make power, and the available hot rod parts aren't stupidly expensive bits from kitaco or takegawa. Look into go cart racing for the real power capability of a predator.

pomfish

No, it's not 'the same' as a Honda gearset, but what are you saying? A tav 2 belt drive has a variable range of gear ratios from about 3:1 to direct drive or 10% overdriven depending on driver pulley size. That is a wider range than a lifan 125 4 speed, or a honda 3 speed. While some power gets lost as heat, making it less efficient, it requires no input from the operator beyond throttle input, and is tunable! Plus, when it is behind the power and torque advantage of the 212, it really negates any inefficiencies of belt slip. Since I have several good examples of both belt driven bikes, and transmission equipped bikes, I can attest that the only mini (z50/crf 50 style frame) that can run with my predator belt drive bikes are 125 lifan powered with big cam and big valve heads. The predator has way more capability to make power, and the available hot rod parts aren't stupidly expensive bits from kitaco or takegawa. Look into go cart racing for the real power capability of a predator.
What am I saying?

For starters when you have a real gear set you select the gear you want for the terrain.
Example, you are coming down a steep grade in the woods with tree roots sticking up from the soft earth, with the Honda transmission you can choose a lower gear to hold back the bike using the engine/transmission thereby allowing much better control and maneuverability.
TAV is not gonna do that until you get to Series 40, then they really start to hold you back.

I am not about to get into a pissing contest about which bike is faster, Horses for courses. You can set up either bike for what you want.
Here's the thing though.
That Honda 110 produces all its power at half the CC's
Wanna run up against a 200+ cc honda with your predator? No didn't think so.

I own many Predators and they are great inexpensive tunable engines, TAV's are good for what they do.
Difference here is one bike is Motorcycle and the other is an off road Mini Bike.
Guess which one holds it's value better?
Trail Ride both for 500 miles and tell me which one you had to work on, how many belts you chewed up in 500 miles.
Change the oil in the Honda's and ride all season, do it every year and they just do not break.

My Honda's;
1980 CT110 Trail High/Low range 4 speed
1972 SL70 4 speed manual
1970 CT70 3 speed auto
2009 50cc Metropolitan

My TAV bikes;
Heald VT7
MTD Trailflight
Baja beater

It's all good.
Peace out.
Keith

What am I saying?

For starters when you have a real gear set you select the gear you want for the terrain.
Example, you are coming down a steep grade in the woods with tree roots sticking up from the soft earth, with the Honda transmission you can choose a lower gear to hold back the bike using the engine/transmission thereby allowing much better control and maneuverability.
TAV is not gonna do that until you get to Series 40, then they really start to hold you back.

I am not about to get into a pissing contest about which bike is faster, Horses for courses. You can set up either bike for what you want.
Here's the thing though.
That Honda 110 produces all its power at half the CC's
Wanna run up against a 200+ cc honda with your predator? No didn't think so.

I own many Predators and they are great inexpensive tunable engines, TAV's are good for what they do.
Difference here is one bike is Motorcycle and the other is an off road Mini Bike.
Guess which one holds it's value better?
Trail Ride both for 500 miles and tell me which one you had to work on, how many belts you chewed up in 500 miles.
Change the oil in the Honda's and ride all season, do it every year and they just do not break.

My Honda's;
1980 CT110 Trail High/Low range 4 speed
1972 SL70 4 speed manual
1970 CT70 3 speed auto
2009 50cc Metropolitan

My TAV bikes;
Heald VT7
MTD Trailflight
Baja beater

It's all good.
Peace out.
Keith
No worries, and I apologize for coming across like a frustrated dude stuck in the house for the last 6 weeks! My son's ct200u has a stock predator (except for a jet, exhaust pipe, air filter, and 4 degrees of timing advance). It has a chinese knockoff tav2 with the 6 3/4. I added a yellow spring in the driver pulley- in the middle hole. It will engine brake itself to a stop if you let off the throttle. For the ease of use, my opinion is it is hard to beat a well-tuned tav2 for under 10 hp bikes. Nope it's not a transmission with real gears, but you can build a bike like my son's for about 200 more than the cost of the bike, which you can find for about 300 or less, imho. So, for 500ish bucks, it is hard to beat the bang for the buck. I'm 200 lbs, and have yet to break any part of my own ct200u. It has been through about 4 predator motors,a few tires, lots of carbs, heads, cams, etc. I am a fan of the predator because of the insane variety of parts available, and the $120 replacement cost! Maybe a budget build buildoff is in order! At any rate, I appreciate the discussion, and exchange of ideas!

pomfish

No apology needed, I think we're all on edge. Not sure what area you live in but here in my part of PA we are still in full lockdown and because we are grouped in with Phila. we will be the last to get relaxed.
Sucks so bad, I have all this time to do something and everything is cancelled. No flea markets, no yard sales, etc.

Agree the Coleman's are a great value and very receptive to mods same as the Baja Heat and Warrior's were.
Have an extra Baja Heat just for spare parts, but it's complete so if I need a test mule at any time it can be put into service.

It's really great to see main stream retailers such as Walmart and Tractor Supply sell mini bikes. Let's people know they weren't just something form the 60's-70's.

Anyway good talking and if you get a chance post up some pics of your ride.
Later,
Keith

This discussion is pretty interesting. Getting a lot of different opinions about it. I think we can all agree though, for comfort, a dirt bike is definitely better. At least if you live in the rocky mountains like me where good shocks are the difference between enjoying or hating a ride.

I feel so bad for all you in lockdown. I'm in Utah.

This discussion is pretty interesting. Getting a lot of different opinions about it. I think we can all agree though, for comfort, a dirt bike is definitely better. At least if you live in the rocky mountains like me where good shocks are the difference between enjoying or hating a ride.

I feel so bad for all you in lockdown. I'm in Utah.
Youd be surprised how much 'suspension' can be tuned with tire pressure on those cheap bikes, and if you aren't locked down, you are definitely doing it wrong.

Youd be surprised how much 'suspension' can be tuned with tire pressure on those cheap bikes, and if you aren't locked down, you are definitely doing it wrong.
I didnt know. But you can only do so much with the tires.

What do you mean if I'm not in lockdown I'm doing it wrong? I meant I feel bad for all you in quarantine.

I didnt know. But you can only do so much with the tires.

What do you mean if I'm not in lockdown I'm doing it wrong? I meant I feel bad for all you in quarantine.
This stuff is going to hit rural areas just like it has hit the big cities. We are ALL in this mess, and the rush to open for business is part of the problem- not part of the solution. The social isolation sucks, but the alternative is catching this stuff and spreading it to everyone around you, and overwhelming our capability to treat it medically. If your location hasn't been affected yet, it is coming.

This stuff is going to hit rural areas just like it has hit the big cities. We are ALL in this mess, and the rush to open for business is part of the problem- not part of the solution. The social isolation sucks, but the alternative is catching this stuff and spreading it to everyone around you, and overwhelming our capability to treat it medically. If your location hasn't been affected yet, it is coming.
Oh, I guess Utah is either stupid or looks at the facts. The Covid 19 is all a set-up and plus, compare it to the common flu, even with the numbers jacked up.

There are a lot of Mormons in Utah. I'd lean towards stupid.
I'm not even a mormon, and plus that has nothing to do with it. You are saying un-informed stuff based on hate towards mormons.
Hey, you said it Nathan, not me. A 'set up'? Yeah, the moron in chief is telling you that while he and the rest of the grifters in the White House are burning through the Covid-19 tests like crazy. No tests for regular people, but they all get tested every day... Wise up, man. Those folks see you as a tiny, insignificant number. You can't fix stupid, but I bet the virus can. Utah hasn't been hit- yet, and your Mormon neighbors there aren't going to share their stash of survival gear with you. Facts? Like 'this will be gone in April', for example? This virus doesn't care one bit about anyone's selfish motivation to return to normalcy. Get a fucking clue.
If any of you want to talk with any sense instead of just insulting me then maybe I will talk with you guys. If you guys just wanna act like dickheads then don't bother. Only idiots go straight to insulting people.

Hey, you said it Nathan, not me. A 'set up'? Yeah, the moron in chief is telling you that while he and the rest of the grifters in the White House are burning through the Covid-19 tests like crazy. No tests for regular people, but they all get tested every day... Wise up, man. Those folks see you as a tiny, insignificant number. You can't fix stupid, but I bet the virus can. Utah hasn't been hit- yet, and your Mormon neighbors there aren't going to share their stash of survival gear with you. Facts? Like 'this will be gone in April', for example? This virus doesn't care one bit about anyone's selfish motivation to return to normalcy. Get a fucking clue.
(1) You're talking to a kid, so address him as you would want a stranger to address your kid. (2) This is a minibike forum, politics don't belong here. (3) After checking some of your previous posts, I'm recommending you for banishment. (4) Have a nice day! :)

(1) You're talking to a kid, so address him as you would want a stranger to address your kid. (2) This is a minibike forum, politics don't belong here. (3) After checking some of your previous posts, I'm recommending you for banishment. (4) Have a nice day! :)
I am very sorry. I am in an area that is locked down, has been since the second week of March. I have lost loved ones to this disease, and have others in assisted living that I must visit remotely now. I should not have allowed myself to get off topic, and it was wrong of me to do so. I appreciate the community here, and have a lot to learn, and some value to contribute on the topic of mini bikes. When I was responding, I never thought it through enough to recognize I might be addressing a child. That was stupid and insensitive on my part. I have friends in SLC, and have been lucky enough to know a few Mormons. I am confident the Mormon community has a plan, and is prepared. In the future, I will conduct myself more like a gentleman. Again, I am sorry.

I am very sorry. I am in an area that is locked down, has been since the second week of March. I have lost loved ones to this disease, and have others in assisted living that I must visit remotely now. I should not have allowed myself to get off topic, and it was wrong of me to do so. I appreciate the community here, and have a lot to learn, and some value to contribute on the topic of mini bikes. When I was responding, I never thought it through enough to recognize I might be addressing a child. That was stupid and insensitive on my part. I have friends in SLC, and have been lucky enough to know a few Mormons. I am confident the Mormon community has a plan, and is prepared. In the future, I will conduct myself more like a gentleman. Again, I am sorry.
I appreciate your humble reply and I have withdrawn my recommendation to ban you but that will be up to Hent, I had already sent the report. I consider Nathan a friend so I felt a responsibility to step in. If you were to search his early threads, you would see that I was very active in them, trying to provide guidance. This forum should be family-friendly.

I'm not even a mormon, and plus that has nothing to do with it. You are saying un-informed stuff based on hate towards mormons.

If any of you want to talk with any sense instead of just insulting me then maybe I will talk with you guys. If you guys just wanna act like dickheads then don't bother. Only idiots go straight to insulting people.
I am sorry, Nathan. I was totally out of line, and there was no excuse for my bad attitude and negativity. I apologize. I truly am sorry. I really have enjoyed this forum, and have learned a lot. I should have never let politics, and the bad attitudes that it can carry along with it, become a part of my interaction on this site. I am not here for politics. I am here for mini bikes. I hope you are safe and well, and enjoying some extra riding time during this crazy time. I really should have chosen my words more carefully. I was a jerk. I am sorry.

I am sorry, Nathan. I was totally out of line, and there was no excuse for my bad attitude and negativity. I apologize. I truly am sorry. I really have enjoyed this forum, and have learned a lot. I should have never let politics, and the bad attitudes that it can carry along with it, become a part of my interaction on this site. I am not here for politics. I am here for mini bikes. I hope you are safe and well, and enjoying some extra riding time during this crazy time. I really should have chosen my words more carefully. I was a jerk. I am sorry.
You're good. I understand. Riding has been great lately, actually.

Is shit talking not allowed on here now? Do we have to worry about everyone's feelings?

Fuck, I figured dude's that are into minibikes might have some thicker skin than this. Guess I should get a "live, love, laugh" something on my wall so I know how to be a bitch.
Oh, my feelings weren't hurt.