Predator 212cc won't start

I put on a stage 2 high preformance kit from OldMiniBikes I also removed the governor I set all valve lash and changed valve springs while at TDC also made sure the dots on my camera and crank were lined up installed a billet flywheel and set coil gap at 0.30 put on carburetor and exhaust and the engine will turn over when I pull the pull start but makes no effort to start I am at a complete lose any help would be great

Did it run before ? I would start by disconnecting the kill switch wires...all of them...did you disconnect the low oil sensor wire ?

Yes it done run before with no problems started on first pull every time, also I removed the low oil sensor and blocked off both holes where the governor arm came through and the yellow sensor wire hole into the crank case it has spark and gets fuel I don't see how the timing could be out to assist in made sure I was TDC and dots lined up on cam and crank. If I'm getting spark would disconnecting the wires for the kill switch make any difference??

If you are positive that its in time (crank/cam) I would double check the valve adjustment. If you have spark, fuel and compression it should start or atleast pop or do something.

If you are positive that its in time (crank/cam) I would double check the valve adjustment. If you have spark, fuel and compression it should start or atleast pop or do something.
I set the lash at 003 on exhaust side and 002 on intake side and coil at 30 are these correct specs also what is the compression suppose to be at??

arc billet flywheel requires a bigger gap I think minimum is .040. This will not prevent starting however. Do you feel compression when you pull it over? If not find TDC again on the compression stroke and go slightly past it by about 10 degrees then check exhaust clearance and make sure you have some. If you were slightly before TDC when you set valves exhaust may still be on compression release nub.

arc billet flywheel requires a bigger gap I think minimum is .040. This will not prevent starting however. Do you feel compression when you pull it over? If not find TDC again on the compression stroke and go slightly past it by about 10 degrees then check exhaust clearance and make sure you have some. If you were slightly before TDC when you set valves exhaust may still be on compression release nub.
Thanks for the advice, that ended up being the problem after reseting the lash on the exhaust side it fired right up, I can't seem to find anywhere online what the compression reading for the 212 predator should be does anyone know I have 2 motors both are around 30 -40 pounds

Thats probably about right...the compression release lever on the exhaust side of the cam makes it pull over easy, by releasing some of the compression. You would have to take the lever off the cam to get a correct compression reading.

So I got this kart all back together and running and with the stage 2 high preformance kit from OldMiniBikes it comes with a new carburetor that's already pre adjusted, but I can't get the kartime to idle throttle has to be 1/2 open to start and obviously it will just take off across the yard, and can't have that I was barley able to grab ahold of it and shut it down apparently I didn't have the brakes adjusted tight enough, anyone got any ides??

First check the idle air adjustment screw don't knpow if limiter is removed or not. Check idle adjustment that adjusts carb butterfly opening. If all is good you may have a vacuum leak.

It will only start when the choke in the closed position and if I open it at all it dies, it also takes a few pulls to get it started as well
I just dealt with this issue. I even cut felpro gaskets and it still did it.
I was able to start it at half throttle but had to quickly return it to let it idle. But when the throttle was open less than halfway, it let too much gas in and killed it unless i went WOT to allow a ton of extra air. (the power gain was AWESOME! but i couldn't ride slow).

My solution was a smaller main jet.
So it's either one of your carburetor gaskets or a jet is too big.

Last edited: