Predator 212cc

SAS289

The predator good but I'd buy a ducar 212. Do a Google search. It's a more money 50 or so bucks but already has an upgraded fly wheel and other benefits
My 196 flywheels don't fit the Predator so it's not even an option. If I wanted to go big I would get the Wildcat 223. If I wanted inexpensive I would get a 208 from Northern tool shipped to me for $135. Chances are that the 208 uses a clone crankshaft and comes with a legacy head that may have 27/25 valves.

Ironton OHV Horizontal Engine — 208cc, 3/4in. (19.05mm) x 2 19/64in. (58.5mm) Shaft | Northern Tool

SAS289

Four of my mini's are running these engines and I have never had a major problem with them.
You MUST run the engine for 30 minutes and drain the oil out to remove sand and milling flashing from the factory. This will greatly increase the life of the engine.
Or better yet have a plan of what you want to do ahead of time. Open it up before it's ran to get a cam and rod in it and clean it out at that time.

My Greyhounds were loaded with metal shavings right out of the box.

nightgrider

I like the 212 that is on my fox Campus. Has plenty of power even in stock form. But I'm not a big guy so I've always felt around 5-6.5 hp is more than plenty on my mini bikes. I was able to use a Honda flywheel on mine so I could run stator coils for lighting.

I like the 212 that is on my fox Campus. Has plenty of power even in stock form. But I'm not a big guy so I've always felt around 5-6.5 hp is more than plenty on my mini bikes. I was able to use a Honda flywheel on mine so I could run stator coils for lighting.
Do you have any links for it?

That is the one you want, it's the non hemi model. There are a lot of places that sell hop up parts for them. Camshaft and flywheel are different between
hemi and non hemi ,but are advertised as such so it's easy to get the right
one. Two places that sell EVERYTHING you need are Go Power Sports and
OldMiniBikes warehouse. I have built 4 predator non hemis in the past two years and have made 15 to 20 purchases from each of those places and have always been treated fairly.

nightgrider

Do you have any links for it?
My predator is a non-hemi the Honda flywheels only will "fit" the non-hemi engines. Though quick PSA it isn't a perfect fit. The crankshaft and flywheel tapper is close but not exact. Some people hand lap the crankshaft to help the tapper match. But because I've still got my governor and it was close enough, I didn't lap to match. I don't have any links right now. I bought everything off ebay the at the cheapest prices I could find. I used a gx160 3 magnet flywheel, 2 gx160 stator coils, and a Briggs 12 volt regulator. The only modification I made was I had to shave one locating nub off the back of the predator flywheel fan so it would fit the Honda flywheel. So far so good. I wouldn't suggest this on a high RPM engine without a governor. To add the lighting set up to my predator 212 was roughly $60. So you'll have to shop around as @toomanytoys has mentioned there are other similar engines some even already have lighting setups. I already had the predator so that's why I chose to upgrade. If I was starting fresh I might not have chose that route based on price.

Attachments

Last edited: