Project “Rutt-Rod”

Addicted 2 Minis

I’ve always loved the idea of building a Rat Bike but haven’t taken the idea seriously. My passions are more towards the smaller things in life. Here’s some pictures that have influenced my Mini Rat Bike “Rutt-Rod”. Of course things will change here and there but the idea will remain the same. The last picture is a conglomeration of parts to give an idea of the look I’m aiming for.

1DDE929D-F5AD-45CE-B10C-D3CA36C05896.jpeg
CB35B237-45B4-4546-A31F-FE1E1A924205.jpeg
0019CF77-9BE0-4875-BEEF-86EB6D094211.jpeg
1A80F0AC-3FE3-4CCD-8211-1C59EA2464E8.jpeg

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

Man that Briggs looks familiar lol..
I haven't even run it yet, I just unwrapped it for the picture. That's how backlogged I am, how long did I get it from you?, 1-1/2 or 2 years ago at least!. Here's a pic of the front wheel I just bought, hopefully all is well as I never dealt with the guy before. I'll have to do some modifications either to the forks or the wheel, the forks dropout width is 2.125 and the wheel is at least 2.5. I'm also going with a Cushman whitewall for the rear, I have a Shinko but the tread style is too modern.

Lester Mag.jpeg
Cushman Tire.jpeg

I haven't even run it yet, I just unwrapped it for the picture. That's how backlogged I am, how long did I get it from you?, 1-1/2 or 2 years ago at least!. Here's a pic of the front wheel I just bought, hopefully all is well as I never dealt with the guy before. I'll have to do some modifications either to the forks or the wheel, the forks dropout width is 2.125 and the wheel is at least 2.5. I'm also going with a Cushman whitewall for the rear, I have a Shinko but the tread style is too modern.

View attachment 297644
View attachment 297645
LOL..
Probably about 1-1/2 -2 years ago like you said... That was a real good running motor, and early -mid 60's if I recall..
I like the idea on this build!

Addicted 2 Minis

Them bikes look like they are air ride......That will be hard to do on a mini.....I can't wait to see the build .......This is my rat trike. View attachment 297646
Sweet!, Yeah, I'm going to make a swingarm for the wagon/seat pan that bolts to where the rear axle would have. Then I'm going to make a mechanical lever to slam the front and rear. I'm actually going to try and make the steer tube pivot for it to work. The front and rear will connect to one lever so when I shift the lever back, the bike drops down, when I shift the lever forward (lock position), the bike goes to ride height. I'm also thinking of going belt drive to a jackshaft with a mechanical clutch like a rototiller, from the jackshaft to the rear wheel will be chain. I like the idea of a bunch of mechanical levers, pulleys and knobs that serve a purpose. The foot controls will be made from old go kart pedals and pivot on the foot rest bar. man I hope I find the time to get this done and working the way I'd like.

River Rat Ron

Sweet!, Yeah, I'm going to make a swingarm for the wagon/seat pan that bolts to where the rear axle would have. Then I'm going to make a mechanical lever to slam the front and rear. I'm actually going to try and make the steer tube pivot for it to work. The front and rear will connect to one lever so when I shift the lever back, the bike drops down, when I shift the lever forward (lock position), the bike goes to ride height. I'm also thinking of going belt drive to a jackshaft with a mechanical clutch like a rototiller, from the jackshaft to the rear wheel will be chain. I like the idea of a bunch of mechanical levers, pulleys and knobs that serve a purpose. The foot controls will be made from old go kart pedals and pivot on the foot rest bar. man I hope I find the time to get this done and working the way I'd like.
Don’t lay awake half the night cuz your mind won’t shut off do you? :D
Once the ideas come I can’t shut it off. Your lowering idea would have me perplexed for days.

Rowedoo

If you could find some old horse drawn farm implements they have leavers with locks .

Addicted 2 Minis

If you could find some old horse drawn farm implements they have leavers with locks .
A B&M shifter with reverse lockout did come to mind but I do like the farm implement lever idea. I gotta find a smaller tank too, I want it to fit between the frame. I found an old Clinton tank that looks like it’ll fit the bill. I’m also thinking of going with an updraft carburetor because having a frame mounted tank and an engine mounted tank wouldn’t look right. Without the tank on the engine, I’ll have more room for the pulley/jack shaft drive. After I get the front wheel I can figure out fork rake and frame height then I can start making the swingarm. I’d like to use a set of light duty leaf springs for the rear suspension. I found some on an old set of bicycle springer forks that looked like they’d do great but they are way out of my price range. The rear wheel will attach to and pivot on the swingarm so when the bike is raised, the seat height will stay the same, once raised and locked it will act as a whole and utilize the leaf spring suspension. I think the biggest hurdle will be figuring the throw length of the pivot lever arms so it sits on the frame and swingarm evenly when lowered and level when it’s raised.