Project: Atlas

Step 1: Disassemble the bike - Complete
Considering the parts on the frame were attached by rust/painted nuts and bolts, it went rather smooth. The seat was a nightmare. The bolt was not the right one and I actually undid the spot weld for one of the seat plates on the frame. The fenders were in excellent condition after I cleaned them up.

Step 2: Straighten the forks - In Progress
My neighbor took the forks to work with him this morning. It will be no problem to straighten the forks without causing stress to the metal. This step will be completed today.

Step 3: Weld seat plate - In Progress
My neighbor will be doing this at work Monday :)

Step 4: Sand - In Progress
The frame is about 50% complete at sanding it down. I plan to have it completed today.

Step 5: Paint - Not Scheduled

Step 6: Assemble - Not Scheduled

Parts Needed:
Front Tire - Got
Rear Brake Assembly - Need
Throttle - Need
Hand Brake - Need
Seat - Need/On Order
Foot Pegs - Need
Kickstand - Need
Nuts/Bolts - Need
Motorcycle Style Gas Tank - Wishlist

Last edited:
The 2 boys are doing the sanding. They know that the sooner the bike gets sanded, the sooner they can ride it :)

One thing I noticed on the frame, going towards the back, before the 1st seat bracket, there is a weld on the underside like a bracket was there. Any ideas what I am babbling about?

If you notice anything else I need for this project, please chime in.

Thanks,
Kevin - Hillsboro, OH

catfishman

i will take a look at mine later,i am headed to work now, the only thing i do not like about my atlas, is that the wheel and sprocket are 1 piece.

Yeah, I remember those plates on my minibikes from the old days. I never used it back then and probably won't now :) Thanks for the feedback to that missing plate.

thanks,
Kevin - Hillsboro, OH

Step 3: Weld seat plate - Complete
Step 2: Straighten the forks - Complete

Parts Needed:
Front Tire - Got
Rear Brake Assembly - Need
Throttle - Need
Hand Brake - Need
Seat - Got
Foot Pegs - Need
Kickstand - Need
Nuts/Bolts - Need
Chaingaurd - Need
Motorcycle Style Gas Tank - Wishlist
Step 3 is now complete. He did a great job welding the bracket back onto the frame it is smooth and even to the bars.

Kevin - Hillsboro, OH

Last edited:
Getting bike ready for paint is taking longer than hoped. Kids are not helping as I thought they would, lol. I am doing the forks now and wonder how I should tackle the shock spring area. If the lower forks come off to allow the springs to be better accessable, np then.

Any suggestions for this task?

Kevin - Hillsboro, OH

catfishman

the handle bars and forks are one piece, but the spring will come off you have turn them, takes a little force, at least on mine it did.

the handle bars and forks are one piece, but the spring will come off you have turn them, takes a little force, at least on mine it did.
Thanks for the input. I want to ask before I attempted to try and remove them.

Kids finally has the frame done. Now they have to prep the handle bars/forks :)

Just spent another chunk of funds on more parts. Getting closer to the finish line!

Kevin - Hillsboro

On my day off, I find myself doing the kids job of sanding. I twisted the springs and the forks/springs came off from the bars (forks slides into bars). I twisted the springs again and the springs are now off the bike :) I bow have the forks sanding completed. I'll do the fenders next and let the kids do the bars. It is getting close to paint time! There is a few spots of light rust on the upper forks that the rest is shiny. Do I chrome that or can I just paint it with the rest of the forks?

BTW: It looks like the origional color was red or orange. It is hard to tell when you are sanding.

Thanks,
Kevin - Hillsboro, OH

UPDATE

Bike is painted blue. Friend who works for a body shop painted it for me. It looks like it just came new off the shelf. I am picking up the forks/handlebars/rims this weekend from him (painted seperately). I bought a HF engine, but going to swap it on my doodlebug for the HF blue engine. I bought flames/skull blue/black/chrome handgrips that are awsome. New throttle and brake with cables. Bike has a new front tire with new inner-tube. I bought Blue gas lineand blue fuel filter. I also got a new kill switch for it (Doodlebug Style). I have bought some parts from OldMiniBikes (to show support).

I will post pics this weekend after I start putting the bike back together.

Already about to paint my 2nd project (explains my absence from site).

Kevin - Hillsboro, OH