radio flyer wagon build

delray

ok banit 40. got it fix....:thumbsup:

mark g, did some testing and it works fine with a loop around the tire and the rear strap down,but the trailer tires like to fight the ground only when turning real hard. thats where i might change it. so loop bracket pivots...:thumbsup: i also pin the front steering when towing.

delray

drilled and tap out the front axle for a 1/4 thread bolt.

got my wheels ready. front wheels have sealed bearings for the 1/2 axle.

mounted on steel rims...........no more plastic rims. save only tires and tubes.

delray

i had a extra piece from a comet 30 torque converter(part of the driver unit) that i turn into a disc.

disc brake unit that i will be using.

fab couple pieces of metal to hold the disc unit and mount the disc onto the 3/4 keyway shaft.

delray

now time to fab up the handle with a control box and the thumb speed control.

off go's the handle.

pop some holes for the key switch and for the wiring and the top handle .

trim the box covers up. one side will get welded and the other side will be screw on. this will allow me to get to the wiring,

the handle is off a chevy truck mirror.....:laugh: hey it works......:wink:

Last edited:

delray

installed the key switch. this will give me off,forward,reverse. also off position will allow me to pull the key out.

found a over size piece of tubing that fits perfect over the handle and has the correct OD for the thumb control speed unit and the rubber grip handle.

once i got in place. went ahead and welded it.

delray

ran some wiring through the tubing for the thumb throttle and key switch. i also had to bore a hole through the bottom hitch(oval black plastic piece)to run the wires through. i need to test run it. before painting.

soldered the wire to the clip ends and then put a piece of shrink tubing over it.....:thumbsup:

delray

brain box that controls the speed,charging system,lights if i want,forward and reverse.

charging system, light turns from red to green when fully charged....:thumbsup:

delray

switch above the charging port is the main kill switch power. at that point nothing can drain the system when wagon is not being used.

delray

thanks pete..:thumbsup:
little behind on posting some finish pictures of the wagon. i was kind of busy this week making a custom tank for someone pete..:laugh: and then came down with a real bad cold....:sad:

delray

mounted a small adjustable chain on the front of the handle. this allows the correct ride height when hanging on to the handle to control the speed,steering,brake. this way your arm isn't trying to hold the handle and assembly all the time. it might only weigh couple pounds,but after a while you arm would start to feel the weight.

handle assembly with throttle control. brake handle with parking lock button. key ignition that controls forward and reverse and park position that you can pull the key out.

cut out a piece of thin rubber matting for a bed liner. little more protection for the bed floor.

FINISH RADIO FLYER WAGON

delray

little up date on how my radio flyer wagon build as been doing this summer. i have also been taking it to some swapmeets and this weekend has been a real big test for it. friday i went to one of are local swapmeets and also is know as one of the larges midwest shows. rain has been so bad here in the last couple weeks when i arrive at the grounds they told us we would have to park in town on one of the city streets or the school parking lot. making it a good 5+ blocks away from the show to hike in. this made it real interesting on how long the batterys where really going to last and going through the muddy and wet ground's all day . this would also put some extra strain on the batterys. some times going through 3inch's of standing water and mud up to my rims and over.

i was about 1/2+ through the show when it look like this.

and then just little bit later it look like this.

little wagon did real good still with the last chuck of dead weight on it and made it all the way back to my truck.

delray

add-on storage basket i pickup up earlier in the summer at a swapmeet. comes in handy for extra storage.
hey, it was only $5 bucks....new...:thumbsup: folding basket for a bicycle.......