Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

In a few hours it will be the 11th of November.

On the 11th minnit of the 11th hour the big guns of the great war fell silent and the war to end all wars ended.

We have faught more wars.

And never must not forget, for dead will not rest where ever they lay.

The echoes of the great war resonate.
Where I work we lay a section of planks and stringers across a muddy section and call it a "duck-board". This is a dead word in Canadian English, no one knows outside of the mines knows what this is and few in the mines know this come fron the trenches of the great war.
To my suprise when I went underground at INCO all those years ago I heard all these starnge references to the great war and the second world war.
Its just part of the culture of the deep, echoes of what we were doing and why.
We mined the nickel that made the armour plate on the HMS Hood, We made the INCONEL that let a B-17 Turbo charger hold together, we made the MONEL in the prop on the HMS Dreadnaught and the armour in the USS NewJersey.

@ 5:05 this video tells the tale of how the nickel my grandfather mined came back home as shrapnel after it the nice people at US steel imported the Sinter75 from the smelter a few miles from my home.
The First World War ep7 Blockade pt2 - YouTube

WAR is messy buisness, but its big buisness too....

In conclusion I will leave you with this speach by Chaplin in a movie he made called the great dictator just before the second world war.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo&feature=related

Last edited: