Removing governor on your engine and OldMiniBikes !!! Please read !!!

vette66_00

Since there has been a few post about this subject lately and with a few things that have come up, I am making this post.

We, at OldMiniBikes, suggest that when removing your Governor on your 6.5 hp clone or True Honda engine (including all engines discussed on this forum), that you take precautions. By precautions it is suggested that you use proper after market parts to prevent personal injury and/or injury to others.

The use of, but not limited to, a Billet Flywheel and Billet Rod are highly suggest when using these engines for anything other than there intended use and intended RPM range by the manufacture.

All threads with questions/comments about using a stock engine with the governor removed, including modifying stock parts (fin removal..ect), without proper precautions will be LOCKED and a link will be referenced to this thread.

Anybody suggesting the use of a stock engine without proper precautions is doing so on there own accord.

NEW:
Anybody continuing to repost question about Modifying Stock engines without proper parts will take a vacation. This included as many ways you can say "How do you modify a stock engine" without saying it. If you are insinuating it it is worse than coming out and saying it. This action will be a instant vacation (or Banning). Complain if you wish but we are doing this for safety and are not going to make exceptions. This is a privately owned website so your first amendment right to freedom speech is void.

The opinions expressed by members/users of this forum do not reflect the opinions or advise of OLDMINIBIKES.com, its Owner, or its operators.

For reference if you think it does not happen please review the following.

Thank You korndog of the use of your video. Flywheel failure around 6500 rpm slightly modified stock flywheel..
[youtube]7X_kJF8t4G0[/youtube]

Thank You Edwin for the use of the pictures. Flywheel failure same engine as above video

More Pics Thanks MiniDragBike for the use of the pictures.. Flywheel failure at about 6100 rpms slightly modified stock flywheel

Here is a Tec that had a rod failure. Found by Jeep2003 in another forum. Stock engine Gov removed

I will add more as I find them.. If you have more pictures of flywheel and rod failure please pm and/or add them here. Thanks

Last edited:
There will be more offerings to the god of speed....

But at least I won't have to read another one of those damb threads.
Up ward and on ward lets hear more about now ideas in clone engines

joekd

Good move, safety should always be top concern

Of course now we wont be able to see the exact same post about a certain spring mod over and over again :laugh:

This silliness has to end.
I'm sending Tom an email and link to this thread.
Will ARC cut deals for OldMiniBikes members I doubt it he already has driven the prices so low for safety and reliability that you can't ask for more.

This silliness has to end.
I'm sending Tom an email and link to this thread.
Will ARC cut deals for OldMiniBikes members I doubt it he already has driven the prices so low for safety and reliability that you can't ask for more.
I was suggesting OldMiniBikes carry the parts on the site; not reduce the price os.

I have a Harbor Freight 6.5 clone ... I just need the link what to buy for a rod and flywheel for that motor. I don't care about price. I just want the right one from a reputable source. Thanks Randy

Chris,

I am happy you addressed this issue head on. It's very important the member's all know this is not a good idea. It raises liability issues and we need the site up.

Curtis Scott a. k. a. TT :eek:ut:

vette66_00

affordablegokarts: Aluminum Flywheel, Honda

could i use this honda flywheel or is the billet flywheel a better choice
For the price get the billet flywheel. Is the Honda Flywheel better than a clone? Maybe but it still a mass produced product, the billet flywheel is built for this intended purpose.

hahah that was just asking for it. I have no mods on my clone and have the governor removed but i dont wind it out to much and i dont race.
That's the whole problem. You don't think its going to happen to you as well as all the people, as seen in the pics above. The problem is nobody knows what makes them blow up. Some say the magnet lets go (in many cases) but just read about one letting go and the magnet was still attached.

Please read this because I think you may have missed it....

We, at OldMiniBikes, suggest that when removing your Governor on your 6.5 hp clone or True Honda engine (including all engines discussed on this forum), that you take precautions. By precautions it is suggested that you use proper after market parts to prevent personal injury and/or injury to others.

The use of, but not limited to, a Billet Flywheel and Billet Rod are highly suggest when using these engines for anything other than there intended use and intended RPM range by the manufacture.

All threads with questions/comments about using a stock engine with the governor removed without proper precautions will be LOCKED and a link will be referenced to this thread.

Anybody suggesting the use of a stock engine without proper precautions is doing so on there own accord.

The opinions expressed by members/users of this forum do not reflect the opinions or advise of OLDMINIBIKES.com, its Owner, or its operators.

Last edited: