Removing governor on your engine and OldMiniBikes !!! Please read !!!

well I just was told that no one makes an after market fly wheel for the predator engines. Is that true? why not? So I guess I am stuck with stock RPMs.....for safety reasons?:eek:ut:
Give yourself more credit here. You stick to stock rpm's because you don't want to go to the hospital, or at the very least, a panic attack when you hear a stock one detonate. May never happen, but I'm a what if kinda guy myself... If a little speed is more important than that, :eek:ut:. And if you, REALLY want it. I'm sure someone could fab one for you. That's gotta be cheaper than the hospital bill that may come if ya don't.

http://www.nr-racing.com/raceparts.htm Found it in another section. Look under pred Engines. Scroll down to flywheels. Got quite a few it looks like.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I will look into it. Yes I try to be safe, because i got 3 kids and keep theres geared low. I got 3 karts and looking for more, so I set each one up different. I got a dirt track in my yard over 1/8 of a mile. Got to have fun, lol. :thumbsup:

My god that must have been one hell of an explosion!!!
That picture with the bloody piece of jeans stuck to the broken flywheel made me shudder.
That picture should be made to pop up any time a kid ( young or old ) asks a question on the forum about removing goveners.
Rob.

I rebuilt my engine and added all the right parts.. I put in over $400.00 into my HF engine. Thats the correct way to do it. I was shooting for 60 mph but only got 56mph. Not bad for a mini bike!!!!! Good luck people on your future builds. PS I bought all my parts from AGK....

Thanks for posting this, it really puts things into perspective. The reason I actually joined this site was for this very reason, I purchased a modded go cart, with no built internals and I have heard horror stories of them exploding and shooting shrapnel everywhere, so I am in search of some used parts to get the build going, properly :) Thanks again for the post! :thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

how can you have this sticky warning of being banned if you talk about removing the governor when there is another sticky on the forum in another area telling you how to? no disrespect to the author of the other post.. so whats the difference?

Look at the carburetor size on all of those motors... Show me an exploded flywheel on a motor with a STOCK carb. I know atleast 10 people who removed governor and have stock flywheel with performance parts and these motors are up to 2 years old no problems.. Wouldnt it be much simpler too only RECCOMMEND billet flywheels in the Terms & Agreements when registering for an account?

How do i find out which rod and billet flywheel i would need? The motor is a Briggs 7hp OHV? Are there any numbers stamped on the block that would help get the right one when ordering? Thanks

The info you are looking for is found on the valve cover. There you'll see stamped into the metal the model/type and code. Code is date of manufacture and which assembly plant it was built. But sometimes the info is stamped in the small heat shield over the cylinder head. Try visiting Briggs and Stratton website and click on their Racing Engines section.

Last edited:
It is a good idea to use a billet flywheel I agree, especially on a mini bike where it's under your right leg.
I'm kind of new to the OHV engines and wonder how the rod is a safety issue. It sounds weird, OldMiniBikes should make a deal with ARC. We'll implant the scare, you make the part. :shrug:

My experience comes from spending the summers going with my dad to work at my uncles rental equip/small engine repair shop. (in the early 80's)There was a junkyard full of small engines. I'd blow some up on purpose, never anything deadly.

The worst thing I saw was a 5hp briggs flathead on a tiller that had a blown flywheel. It had a governor and was running at 3600rpm. Messed the guy up, he even tried to sue briggs. Come to find out he was the instructor for the high school shop class and that engine was one of their projects. They assumed it was damaged in some way in the shop class. My uncles shop was the biggest in this area and thats the only blown flywheel I remember seeing.
No one suggested or even entertained the thought of billet flywheels for tiller engines.

I've been running briggs flatheads since I was 11 or so (30 years) I have one right now that pushes 9500 rpm. Never blew a stock flywheel, but it's not inline with any body parts either.
When I was 15 I blew a Horstman H beam rod out of the side of one at wot. And I do mean out, the cap broke and the crank hit the middle of the rod and shoved it right out. Being 15 I had no money for another Horstman so I used stock. I was surprised to find how a stock rod could hold WOT, but I did have a lot break. They don't all come out.

Whats my point? IDK, I like my right leg, I just got another minibike, just put a predator on it with an ARC flywheel from OldMiniBikes. If it's projected path is inline with a body part and there is an upgrade available you should buy it. :thumbsup:
http://youtu.be/aQaGwhLmM0k
2005 Prowler Kart, 808 Key Chain Video Camera DVR 2 - YouTube

Last edited:
^^^
Good way of putting it Jay. :thumbsup: I think the main reason for the billet connecting rod is to save your motor, because when a con. rod breaks it'll cause damage.

Since there has been a few post about this subject lately and with a few things that have come up, I am making this post.

We, at OldMiniBikes, suggest that when removing your Governor on your 6.5 hp clone or True Honda engine (including all engines discussed on this forum), that you take precautions. By precautions it is suggested that you use proper after market parts to prevent personal injury and/or injury to others.

The use of, but not limited to, a Billet Flywheel and Billet Rod are highly suggest when using these engines for anything other than there intended use and intended RPM range by the manufacture.
Here is a Tec that had a rod failure. Found by Jeep2003 in another forum. Stock engine Gov removed[/B]

I will add more as I find them.. If you have more pictures of flywheel and rod failure please pm and/or add them here. Thanks

I smell bullshit.
Why does OldMiniBikes sell Race Ready engines with the stock rod?
If someone is going to try to tell me that their engines do have billet rods then tell me why the make no mention of it, it would be a good selling point.

Why does this picture of the engine broken in half say the governor was removed, but the gear is still there, the arm is still there. These engines vibrate BAD. I would bet by the looks of that engine it was not on a go kart or minibike. Who keeps theirs that dirty?

I bet that block broke because it vibrated itself to death on a piece of equiptment and the rod broke in the process.

But my point is, why is this site trying to scare people into buying billet rods when the owners of the site sell racing engines with stock rods and the governors removed?

I'm not going broke if my $110 engine has a rod failure. I would bet I've purposely blown up more engines than anyone on this site, never had a rod failure come even remotely close to hurting anyone.

AGAIN FOCUS ON THE PICTURE ABOVE, DESCRIBED AS "GOVERNOR REMOVED" WHEN YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE IT. AND ALSO ON OldMiniBikes'S 'RACE ENGINES' WITH STOCK RODS.

I have a 6 hp OHV tecumseh on a mini bike, with the governor gear removed and a better carb. After reading this it definitely sounds like I should use billet rod and flywheel, but I can't find anywhere to buy the parts, tecumseh went out of business. The engines are know for breaking connecting rods as well. I had someone tell me that they used to use lawnmower flywheels in their go kart engines because they weigh a lot less, lawnmower blade already has momentum so the flywheel could be lighter. Just checking but this would be more dangerous than the stock flywheel right?

I just read all 8 pages because I just bought a minibike with a &.5hp Tecumseh. In the morning I'm putting up the engine on craigslist and buy a HF 6.5 with a billet flywheel and billet rod :)