removing ruttman fork

Is there a certain trick to getting the bolt off a Ruttman small frame? First, what is the standard bolt head size - I had a one inch on it that kinds fits but not exactly. Is it a 7/8? Also, is it a reverse thread or it it lefty loosen? There is no nut on the bottom, just the threads from the bolt. Help is appreciated. I'd like to get this apart, media blasted and into powder coat soon.

Last edited:

desert rat

A 12p will work just be nice to it. If there is no nut you should be able to turn the frame over and drive the bolt out. Use a block of wood and the bolt should not be damaged any more then it already is as long as there is no nut holding it in place.

A 12p will work just be nice to it. If there is no nut you should be able to turn the frame over and drive the bolt out. Use a block of wood and the bolt should not be damaged any more then it already is as long as there is no nut holding it in place.
I bought a six point - rather use the better option.

I bought a six point - rather use the better option.
So there is nothing threaded in the head tube itself - no threaded race or cup or anything? So obviously since the nut is gone, it should just be able to come out - only thing holding it is years of it being there and rust, is that correct? Thanks!

So there is nothing threaded in the head tube itself - no threaded race or cup or anything? So obviously since the nut is gone, it should just be able to come out - only thing holding it is years of it being there and rust, is that correct? Thanks!

Rowedoo

If I'm not mistaken there is nylon bushings in the neck......Heat might not be good.....Or just melt them out and get new ones .

1stlegendtx

I just went through the same thing with my ruttman. Mine is a Chrome washer frame. There are no bushings and nothing is threaded. I tried to turn it with and impact after using pb blaster on it for days. The bolt head actually twisted but the bolt would not turn. I finally was able to get it out by pounding it out with a large sledge hammer. It was really stuck. I could get it to to go in tell it was flush with the bottom of the fork but no further so with lots of pb blaster I pounded it back in. After working it back and forth and soaking it with pb blaster I was finally able to get it out. I didn't want to use heat.

desert rat

I just went through the same thing with my ruttman. Mine is a Chrome washer frame. There are no bushings and nothing is threaded. I tried to turn it with and impact after using pb blaster on it for days. The bolt head actually twisted but the bolt would not turn. I finally was able to get it out by pounding it out with a large sledge hammer. It was really stuck. I could get it to to go in tell it was flush with the bottom of the fork but no further so with lots of pb blaster I pounded it back in. After working it back and forth and soaking it with pb blaster I was finally able to get it out. I didn't want to use heat.
This is the trick. IF you use heat be fast and use the hottest gas you can get. These go in this order
Fuel Gas Maximum Flame Temperature °C
Acetylene 3,160
MAPP 2,976
Propane 2,828
Do not heat the bolt , only heat the frame tube.

Last edited:
This is the trick. IF you use heat be fast and use the hottest gas you can get. These go in this order
Fuel Gas Maximum Flame Temperature °C
Acetylene 3,160
MAPP 2,976
Propane 2,828
Do not heat the bolt , only heat the frame tube.
Thanks a lot. I don't have access to any heat like this, but I soaked it in liquid wrench and am going to get a longer pipe to add some leverage to my "too little" breaker bar. Would a heat gun help at all???