Restored Roadster on Ebay

Not sure if anyone has seen it yet, but they call it a 100 point restoration. What does that mean? I am under that impression that it means that the restoration is flawless with no defects. But if a person doesn't use original parts, can it still be a 100 point restoration? Your thoughts....

1969 Rupp Roadster Mini Bike | eBay

Roadster3.jpg

From what I was told a restored bike can't get a perfect 100 points. The seat has stitched pleats. The spark plug wire is supposed to be painted white. It's over restored. I'm sure there's other things not correct. It's a very nice bike but not a 100 point bike.

O yes, it is very nice. But my point is that the seat is incorrect (stitched instead of heat seamed), after-market shocks, and the clutch cover assembly is also incorrect. I just don't feel that it is a 100 point restoration. But maybe it is according to Marcus 150 point scale. :thumbsup:

To the nines is an old saying that roughly means "really nice" or "ultimate." It is of course subjective and therefore really means nothing :laugh:

It is annoying when words that used to have meaning get redefined by epay/craigslist sellers or even just people uneducated on the subject. You see vintage minibikes for example with a new neon paint job and a HF clone listed as "restored." Anything made of aluminum is apparently "billet" now. Cast, extruded, doesn't matter. :laugh: Just about any silver toned metal is likely to be listed as "chrome." :eek:ut: But what can you do? :laugh:

capguncowboy

I saw that bike. Since a nearly perfect survivor failed to bring $3500 recently, I highly doubt anyone would pay $4k for his incorrectly "restored" bike. There are a number of things wrong with the restoration. That being said, there are a lot of great parts there and some of the work looks pretty good, but I wouldn't dream of paying anywhere near that for any bike, much less one that's not 100% correct.

I wish people would stick to the facts when they give a description of their bike. Using terms like "100 point" on something that clearly isn't is misleading. Maybe he'll find a buyer. A sucker is born every minute.

I would personally rather buy the TT500 in FL for $2175. But there are people out there that don't have the time or ability to restore minibikes but still love the thrill of riding them like we do. So they will spend the $$$ to get them.

Rupp Roadster Mini Bike 1969 It's listed as a 98 point bike on Craigslist. He must of been reading this thread. Still it's a very nice bike but for top money he needs to fix some things. If he just got the correct sebac shocks and even a correct style reproduction seat with correct pleats it would make this bike so much better. All the expensive stuff is there and it's nicely done and it wouldn't take much but for top top dollar it needs to be over the top.

Rupp Roadster Mini Bike 1969 It's listed as a 98 point bike on Craigslist. He must of been reading this thread. Still it's a very nice bike but for top money he needs to fix some things. If he just got the correct sebac shocks and even a correct style reproduction seat with correct pleats it would make this bike so much better. All the expensive stuff is there and it's nicely done and it wouldn't take much but for top top dollar it needs to be over the top.
I posted that bike on the TT500 thread...couldn't find this thread again..lol

Rupp 72

To give this guy some credit, it is a very nicely restored bike. Most of the "flaws" would go unnoticed by just about anyone besides us minibike enthusiasts. That being said, yes there are a few things wrong... The clutch guard is altered from a continental clutch cover, the seat is stiched and not pleated, the rear shocks are aftermarket, the jackshaft clutch is wrong, and the spark plug wire should be white but that is really nitpicky considering getting paint to stick to rubber never works as well as hoped. So no i wouldn't call this 100 points, however i wouldn't say it's over-restored either... There is really no extra crome or aftermarket parts that rupp didn't do back in 69 (besides kick start). I think it is a good restoration quality, but to be a "100 point restoration" it should really be all original parts. To say "no nicer bike on the planet" is certainly not true... As far as price, yes he is high but the trend ive seen is these bikes restored bring more than survivors. I've seen TT500 survivors sell around $2500 on the high end but seen restored ones as high as $4750 within the last year.

Last edited:
The lighting coil wires look odd. The plastic plug comes out the front, then it seems like they put a jumper to get it to the back.

Is that right????

Brandt H (Ruppparts . com) had me take the stator output of my "69 & earlier Rupp" lighting kits straight to the back. He said no plastic three prong plug.

Last edited:
I am OK on the price for the most part if the seat, clutch cover, and shocks were correct. It isn'the cheap to restore these bikes and even at that price you are probably about breaking even. They sure are stunning when they are done tho!

The lighting coil wires look odd. The plastic plug comes out the front, then it seems like they put a jumper to get it to the back.

Is that right????

Brandt H (Ruppparts . com) had me take the stator output of my "69 & earlier Rupp" lighting kits straight to the back. He said no plastic three prong plug.
Correct. No 3 prong plug just 2 wire no kill wire with it on the early bikes

A friend of mine restored this bike over 10 years ago. Every thing on the bike is either original or nos nothing reproduction. All nuts and bolts original or nos and correct cad plating. He said he pulled nos parts fenders, crash bar clutch cover etc out of the package and had them rechromed so all the chrome would perfectly match. I think he said it had all the accessories offered by rupp for the 69 roadster and the Kickstarter was offered by rupp as an add on. He said he spent over $7500 on the bike. image.jpeg