RIP Dill

Had to put my g/f's dog down last night. He had a good 12 year run (8-19-08 to 8-22-20). He hadn't been eating much, if at all, lately and had lost a bunch of weight. We thought it was a bad tooth that was bothering him. Turns out he had kidney and liver failure and most likely some very aggressive cancer. His hips were going too. Made the decision last night to put him down. I didn't even cry this much when my parents died.

RIP Dilly, I'll miss you.

Pic taken a couple of weeks ago (before his b-day) when his dog box thing came in. We decided to get some pics that day.

Sorry to read about this Strigoi. Losing a pet is like losing one of your kids! When my last dog passed i couldn't work for two weeks and it still tears me up. Dill has crossed that Rainbow Bridge and is having the time of his life with all the other dogs that have gone. They say there are no dogs in heaven, if that's true, I want to go where they went! RIP Dill !!

You and your girl have my deepest sympathies. I'm a fellow dog lover, and I know they come along and wiggle their way into our hearts. Magnetic is right, all dogs go to heaven. There are no bad dogs, only good dogs.

I feel for you Brother. My avatar says it all. Losing a buddy like him can tear a guy up. I have had a few others like him along the way and it only gets harder each time. We all look down on our canine buddies to pet them but really we are looking up to them because of their unrestrained love and loyalty they give us.
Peace out Brother.
Fred

Sooner79

Very sorry to hear about Dill, @Strigoi. I know exactly how you feel. My wife and I have been married for 38 years and we’ve had two Beagles. The first live almost 18 years and the day we had to put her down was arguably the saddest day of my life at that time. After about a year of her passing and because our kids begged us, we got another Beagle pup. She live 16 years and we went through the same grief and pain over losing her, just as before. Our kids are now grown and have their own dogs and my wife and I have resigned ourselves to just enjoying our “grand-dogs”. It just hurts too bad to lose a member of the family like that.

One thing I read years ago that has given me comfort every time I have had to put one down,

" We are ALL of their live but they are only PART of our lives".

In the 40 years that We have been married we have put down 4 dogs. 1 Norwegian Elkhound and 3 Pembroke Corgi's. 3 had long 13 and 14 year lives. The last 1 was a 5 year old Corgi with a growth in her abdomen. Couldn't be fixed. I miss her the most as she went way to young at 5.

My 5 year old

Currently we have 3 in the house - 2 Norwegian Elkhounds 1- 6 years old and 1- 15 or 16 years old. There was conflicting dates on the paperwork when we got her. One year difference in the papers. She was 10 or 11 when we rehomed her. And a 4 year old Dorgi, A Dachshund/Corgi mix. Plus a Cog. She adopted us as a tiny kitten dropped of by her mom never to be seen again. Took her in had her fixed. She follows the dogs everywhere they go. They go out to do their business, she goes out with them and does her business. If she is wondering around in the yard I can whistle for her and she comes running as fast as she can. Thus the name Cog - Cat that thinks its a Dog... Its all she knows. She has been around then daily since she would fit in the palm of your hand.

Our dogs are our children, especially since we don't have any kids. So they get special treatment... We have been cooking their dog food for 6 or 7 years now and their quality of life has improved drastically. No issues with weight or joints. If you have a pudgy overweight dog this dog food will skinny them up in a few months and they will act like young dogs again. Our oldest Elkhound jumps up on her hind legs when Sandra is fixing there food. You would think she was 2 or 3 or 4. We cook every 6 weeks for about 4 hours and then bag it and freeze it. A 1 quart bag will feed all 3 of them mixed with dry food twice. Its based on ground turkey and lots of Indian spices. Diced potatoes, Celery, Kale, Carrots and a couple more things I am sure that I am forgetting. She starts the meat in the pot, a big 1/8'' thick home made stainless steel pot, I break out the big mixing bowls and the Mandolin slicer and make quick work of the vegies. Then use my Alaskan ULA knife to dice the Kale. Pretty quick and simple. Uses a couple of eggs and then you have to crush the eggshell as fine as you can get it and through it in too. Last add brown rice and let it sit and cook the proper amount of time. Once it cools we put 1 cup to a quart bag and flatten with a Bacon press so they lay flat and stack neatly.

If anyone would like the dog food recipe I will gladly share it with you. Elkhounds are in the 60 pound range and the Dorgi is around 20. They each get 2 meals along with dry food from 1 quart/1cup bag. 6 meals from 1 1 quart bag. So you can judge how it might work for you. If they act stiff and move slow this is the best thing for them. We also have a Veterinarian/Chiropractor/Acupuncturist for our dogs. You should see her doing adjustment on a horse. its amazing to watch. Acupuncture works wonders on dogs. The results are just amazing and seen quickly.

Last edited:
Its funny how they can just look at you and in your heart you can feel their unconditional love. I think the experiences they give you are good for your soul and can comfort you whenever you think about them. I know they do for me..........So sorry for your loss, RIP DILLY