Robin Subaru EX21 running wide open.

I have a Robin EX21 that had been sitting for over a year. Prior to storage it was running properly but was not stored correctly. Recently I cleaned it all up and slapped on a new carb (broke the idle screw off the old one trying to clean it properly). The carb/throttle linkage is set to as it was prior and the engine will start on the first or secoond pull no problem. The problem comes when once started it will not go to idle and just runs wide open almost full RPM. I can pull the linkage and governer arm back to the idle position and it idles perfectly purrs like a kitten, but once i let it go its back to wide open. Its running as if the governer is holding it in the wide open position. I want to know is it possible that the governer centrifical weights maybe be stuck in the wide open position not allowing the governer to return to the idel position? Is this something that happens? Is there an easy way to check to see if that is the problem or am i going to have to crack open the case to check it? Could there be something else wrong with the governer setup?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Steven

R.I.P. RudeDog

TomH

lessss see here now.You can manually pull the linkage and it does fine. Soo your problem is in the throttle control wire. Unhook the throttle control wire and see what happens. If your governor linkage is hooked up right(and you had to mess with that to change the carb), the engine should be at idle so fix your throttle wire hook up. If it isn't and is still running away. You hooked up your governor wrong. Wires are in the wrong holes.

@ Tom I have 2 other EX series engines and the linkage is setup identical to the two perfect running engines. I never touched the stock placement of the governer arm. I do find it funny that when manually pull back the governer arm it returns to idle makes me think the governer is working properly internal but something else might be wrong, could the new carb be that out of adjustment from the factory? I am stumped at this point!

@ Motra
Rudy passed away last November from catastrophic heart failure. I guess i never got around to letting anyone know on this forum, I am still unsure of how many forums he was active on. We had moved away from working and riding on the mini's. My weight, his heart and my nephews age leading to work on other projects. Rudy moved onto building and riding his HardKnock 5150 (his last build)but not long after he finished it his heart problems got so bad he couldnt ride it. Had to pick him up off the freeder road on one occiasion. With my nephew getting a little older he want to ride the mini's with his friends so i am getting them back up and running again, I might even try turning our trike build into something rideable again.

Rudy on his Knock!

swap

Took the new carb off of the EX-21 i have been having governer issues with and swaped it over to the other engine. linkage hooked up identical, it starts and comes to an idle at first pull.
I think it is time to pull the back of the case off and see what going on in there.

I have the exact same problem. Has anyone located the cause? Pretty sure it is the governor gear.
I no absolutely nothing about Robins, but I have an Eager1 Craftsman wood chipper that did the same thing. I opened it up and sure enough, the governor had no balls! They both fell out, one must have gotten drained out with the oil and the other was just chillin' in the bottom of the crankcase. I could care less about a stupid wood chipper, so I put a spring on the governor arm to return the butterfly to idle. It doesn't maintain rpm, but it's better than having a 3600rpm flywheel spinning at 5500rpm.

Not sure how relevant any of this is, just thought I'd share a story.

Ty

I scored an EX21 from my local recycling yard. It was on a pump and had water in the oil. I drained it, put in some STP 30 weight. Got it to start and run for about 20 minutes. I then drained it again and put in the correct? 10w30 and some Marvel stabilizer.

It seems ok so far, BUT the Mikuni carb on it DOES NOT have a throttle.........can anyone recommend a carb that will work on these engines?

Open to any and all suggestions from our more learned members. Thanks